The Student Room Group

I used to be a slave. AMA!!!

Ask away!

Scroll to see replies

how were u a slave.
have you ever visited the Isle of Skye ?

:holmes:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
how were u a slave.

I come from Mauritania where slavery is extremely common. I was actually enslaved by a family member of the Berber community until I was helped by relief workers in Nouakchott
Reply 4
Nope
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
have you ever visited the Isle of Skye ?

:holmes:

No I haven't. Isn't that in Scotland?
Reply 6
Yes, especially pistachio and chocolate ice cream :smile:
I come from Mauritania where slavery is extremely common. I was actually enslaved by a family member of the Berber community until I was helped by relief workers in Nouakchott

Are you/ where you a refugee then? Do you live in the UK? What was it like escaping?
I thought this said ‘I want to be a slave! AMA’

Are you now based in the uk?
Original post by glassalice
Are you/ where you a refugee then? Do you live in the UK? What was it like escaping?

Yes, I was a refugee in Germany but have been granted political asylum. The journey was actually not too difficult as I obtained a visa for travel to Germany and then applied for asylum from there. My case was quickly approved as I was a minor at the time
Original post by PilotFineliner
Are you now based in the uk?

No I live in Germany :smile:
What was it like when you were initially adapting to life in Germany, having come from Mauritania as a former slave?
No I live in Germany :smile:

Could you describe your emotional experience being a slave?

What were the jobs you were required to do?
Original post by dumpling_eater
What was it like when you were initially adapting to life in Germany, having come from Mauritania as a former slave?

It was extremely difficult in the beginning because I barely spoke English let alone German. I was enrolled in German classes around two months after I was granted asylum. The hardest part was getting documentation etc. in Mauritania as I obviously had none before finally getting the Visa. This was arranged by the UNHRC
Yes, I was a refugee in Germany but have been granted political asylum. The journey was actually not too difficult as I obtained a visa for travel to Germany and then applied for asylum from there. My case was quickly approved as I was a minor at the time

Absolutely fascinating, horrible and it must have been a terrifying ordeal for you but that’s really interesting
Could you describe your emotional experience being a slave?

What were the jobs you were required to do?

It was a difficult situation to escape and slavery is something that all Mauritanian government officials are in denial about. I was mostly required to look after elderly visitors, prepare meals, cooking and cleaning but I was barely ever allowed out, to get a proper education or have my own freedom
It was a difficult situation to escape and slavery is something that all Mauritanian government officials are in denial about. I was mostly required to look after elderly visitors, prepare meals, cooking and cleaning but I was barely ever allowed out, to get a proper education or have my own freedom

That’s really terrifying. I’m really upset for you. May I ask how’s your quality of life now?
That’s really terrifying. I’m really upset for you. May I ask how’s your quality of life now?

Thank you for your compassion. I try not to let it define who I am and my quality of life is of course pretty great in Germany. I only find this current wave of populism and anti-immigration and anti-refugee movements alienating as they don't even consider the stories of people like me who have escaped a life they'd never want themselves or their children subjected to
Thank you for your compassion. I try not to let it define who I am and my quality of life is of course pretty great in Germany. I only find this current wave of populism and anti-immigration and anti-refugee movements alienating as they don't even consider the stories of people like me who have escaped a life they'd never want themselves or their children subjected to

Thank you for sharing your story with us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending