Best age to go study at university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When is the best age to go and study at university ?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey!

This is such an open subjective question as any age could be the best depending on the person!

There are pros and cons associated with ages at university, but again, its totally subjective and is based on each individual.

I know I came to university at the right time for me at 18, yet I know people who took a couple of years out and found that the best for them. I also know mature students who are 40+ who believe that now is the right time for them!

What is your situation? Are you younger, thinking about having a gap year/years or are you a mature student thinking about university?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey!

This is such an open subjective question as any age could be the best depending on the person!

There are pros and cons associated with ages at university, but again, its totally subjective and is based on each individual.

I know I came to university at the right time for me at 18, yet I know people who took a couple of years out and found that the best for them. I also know mature students who are 40+ who believe that now is the right time for them!

What is your situation? Are you younger, thinking about having a gap year/years or are you a mature student thinking about university?

Hi Courtney
I finished my A levels 2 Years ago and 20 years old now - so I'm not sure if I am considered a mature student or not. But once I finish my electrical qualification I will consider university but will be around 22 years old, which I am also unsure if its considered a mature student to not. Would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

Hello! I'm 24 and I'm starting uni this year and I'd definitely say this is the right time for me so it honestly just depends on the person
Anonymous #1
Hello!

Hello! I'm 24 and I'm starting uni this year and I'd definitely say this is the right time for me so it honestly just depends on the person
Thats true I guess.
Did you go to sixth form?
will you be studying away from your hometown and living in uni halls?
What did you also do after sixth form if thats what you done?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
This has been on my mind recently, I'd say it's subjective. Typically people go to university at 18-19 but that's just if you want to have a traditional path and do what you're 'supposed' to do. Personally, I don't see the reasoning in getting a degree and getting yourself in huge debt just because you felt you had to conform to what everyone else does. If you don't need/want the degree why go and sit it. I think there's nothing wrong with being twenty-five, realising you wanna study medicine, then enrolling. Or if you had children and they're all grown up, perhaps you decide you want a specific degree so you can have a career that requires said degree (medicine, law, psychology, etc).

I think it's so subjective and at the end of the day, university isn't necessary for everyone, or they might not be ready at 18, so on. It depends on your journey so there really is not a 'best age', but there's certainly a 'best age for you'.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Thats true I guess.
Did you go to sixth form?
will you be studying away from your hometown and living in uni halls?
What did you also do after sixth form if thats what you done?
I did a diploma in Sports Therapy when I left school and qualified but I didn't enjoy it then I worked abroad for a year, then I went back to college and did hairdressing and barbering (qualified) because I really enjoyed it but realised I wanted a better career so I just carried on working and thinking what I really wanted to achieve and went back to college and did access to humanities which is basically your a levels and got accepted to uni 😊 yes I'll be living in uni halls! I've found that there are a lot of older students
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Courtney
I finished my A levels 2 Years ago and 20 years old now - so I'm not sure if I am considered a mature student or not. But once I finish my electrical qualification I will consider university but will be around 22 years old, which I am also unsure if its considered a mature student to not. Would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you
Hi!

I don't know if you will be classified as a mature student but what I do know is that you will fit right in! Many people start Uni between 18-20 years old depending when their birthdays are in the year and whether they re took a year of A-Levels or took a year out for example so you really aren't that far away from them in age. I understand why this may be a concern for you but I'm sure you will find people of all ages which you click with and age won't matter

I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I don't know if you will be classified as a mature student but what I do know is that you will fit right in! Many people start Uni between 18-20 years old depending when their birthdays are in the year and whether they re took a year of A-Levels or took a year out for example so you really aren't that far away from them in age. I understand why this may be a concern for you but I'm sure you will find people of all ages which you click with and age won't matter

I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Anyone over the age of 21 is a mature student 😊
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to uni aged 19 and I wasn't mature enough or experienced enough to have a real understanding of what to do with my degree. It was all very vague what the point of going was especially as it was a glorified micky mouse degree and I was offered a good job before going. For me it was the uni lifestyle which was the appeal not really where I'd be in 10 years time. If could back I probably wouldn't have gone or at least studied a STEM subject.
MarT4
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tried when I was 19 and wasn't ready, ended up dropping out after a year, now then I went back to uni at 26 to study science, in a different country and I'm graduating this year. Mid-20s was the best time for me and I loved being in college, but I also know younger people in my course who love it and a few over 40s that are enjoying it and for one reason or another couldn't/wouldn't do it before. There isn't a universal right moment, just the right one for yourself. Everything else will fall into place : )
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Courtney
Thank you
Hey!

You would be classed as a mature student as you will be over 21, but in my opinion, when I think of mature students I always assume 30+ as I probably wouldn't be able to point out people in my year that are 'mature students' under this age. As most students are typically 18-20 you might find that your friends and peers will be younger, but, that won't really affect much. (in my opinion)

Do you have any specific concerns about your age when it comes to university?

Anonymous #1
Hey!

You would be classed as a mature student as you will be over 21, but in my opinion, when I think of mature students I always assume 30+ as I probably wouldn't be able to point out people in my year that are 'mature students' under this age. As most students are typically 18-20 you might find that your friends and peers will be younger, but, that won't really affect much. (in my opinion)

Do you have any specific concerns about your age when it comes to university?

So does that mean even if you're on your last year if you joined uni at 18 years old you are then a mature student on you're last year. What did you mean when you said you couldn't point out people in your year that are mature students?
Is that because you have no mature students in your classes
would you say there is also not a lot of people who join uni after 20/ 21
Anonymous #1
I did a diploma in Sports Therapy when I left school and qualified but I didn't enjoy it then I worked abroad for a year, then I went back to college and did hairdressing and barbering (qualified) because I really enjoyed it but realised I wanted a better career so I just carried on working and thinking what I really wanted to achieve and went back to college and did access to humanities which is basically your a levels and got accepted to uni 😊 yes I'll be living in uni halls! I've found that there are a lot of older students
After 21 they class us a mature student which is quite ****
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So does that mean even if you're on your last year if you joined uni at 18 years old you are then a mature student on you're last year. What did you mean when you said you couldn't point out people in your year that are mature students?
Is that because you have no mature students in your classes
would you say there is also not a lot of people who join uni after 20/ 21
Hey!

No, you're only classed as a mature student if you start at age 21 or over. There are a few mature students on my course but I wouldn't be able to point them out based on appearance because I would say that a lot of under the late 20s look the same? For example, I might not be able to point to an 18-year-old and a 23-year-old, if that makes sense. I'm 21 and get classed for 16 all the time (to my annoyance) so appearance isn't everything.

I looked up statistics for student enrolments in the 18/19 academic year, and one source states that there were more mature students than 20 and under. (https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-anal...nts/whos-in-he)

The stats show that:
- 41% were 20 and under
- 28% were 21-24
- 11% were 25-29
- 20% were 30 and older

I hope that helps a little!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (19)
30.65%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads