The Student Room Group

confusion

I finished my A Levels at Sixth form in Bristol and didn't really know what to do after that. The A level results I got were good at ABB and for some reason I decided to do something other than uni. So I decided to do an electrical apprenticeship, however I also applied to university and got all my places just in case I changed my mind. Im a year and a half into my apprenticeship but I just feel like am really missing out on the whole uni thing seeing everyone have the time of their life while am putting the hard work in.
I quite enjoyed the whole school and sixth form thing.
My future goal would be to have my own business - reason why I'm training to be an electrican as I feel I could start my own business in a few years.
Im 20 and just don't know if I should go uni or not and don't feel like going if I get a bit older as I would miss out?
Any help would appreciate it as I feel like I'm missing out.
Original post by Anonymous
I finished my A Levels at Sixth form in Bristol and didn't really know what to do after that. The A level results I got were good at ABB and for some reason I decided to do something other than uni. So I decided to do an electrical apprenticeship, however I also applied to university and got all my places just in case I changed my mind. Im a year and a half into my apprenticeship but I just feel like am really missing out on the whole uni thing seeing everyone have the time of their life while am putting the hard work in.
My future goal would be to have my own business - reason why I'm training to be an electrican as I feel I could start my own business in a few years.
Im 20 and just don't know if I should go uni or not and don't feel like going if I get a bit older as I would miss out?

Hi!

I completely understand how you feel. I definitely think, go to Uni if it aligns with your future goals. You currently seem on route to your goal by being in your apprenticeship so I wouldn't drop out of that if I were you. You maybe could go to Uni after you've done that but only go if it would benefit your future as it is a lot of money! If you do do this, don't worry about age difference! Students start Uni at many different ages :smile: I really recommend visiting any friends you have which are currently at Uni as I know I've made friends with many of my Uni friends from home and they have come over to visit us many times for nights out and stuff so I'd recommend that :smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Well done with your grades :smile:. Univeristy is not all the 'time of your life' - in fact, the vast majority of it for my engineering coursemates and I (who were serious about their degree) was spent struggling to keep up with deadlines and putting the hard yards in to achieve the grade we wanted - sometimes that meant working twelve hour days for weeks on end. There were good times, sure, but I think that's true of any job. If anything, placement was a welcome reprieve for me from the university workload & being paid after years of studying was really really good.

I think you would need to talk to current students on the course you're thinking of attending to gain a realistic idea of whether uni is for you. Make sure you speak to as many people as you can - if they know you personally that's even better as you're likely to hear an honest answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending