The Student Room Group

Boiling point

With reasonable illustrations, compare the boiling points of the following compounds. Propanone, propane, propanol, Propene, propanal and propanoic acid
@Jossey1009 I have moved your thread to the chemistry study help forum. Please remember that TSR is not here to do your homework for you. The study helpers will only offer you hints or advise you where you may have made errors, to help you complete the work yourself. To assist them in this, please include all the work you have done so far so they can see what your approach is and advise if you're on the right track :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
If the compound contains O, N, or F bonded to H, it will have hydrogen bonding, which is the strongest inter molecular force and hence the highest boiling point.

Compounds containing O, N, and F without bonds to hydrogen may still have permanent dipole interactions, slightly weaker than hydrogen bonding.

Other molecules will have Van der Waals forces, the weakest force. Molecules with a C=C bond cannot fit together as closely, so are easier to break apart. Molecules without C=C bonds fit together more closely and have higher boiling points in comparison.

I'm sorry if this is vague or confusing, but as per the instructions above I'm trying not to give you the answer. If you can categorise the compounds according to what I've said, you can begin to form an order of boiling point.

Quick Reply

Latest