Personal Statement for two different courses?

Watch
kira_k
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am unsure of whether I want to do medicine or maths/physics at Uni and have now got to start writing a personal statement. While I understand it isn't great to write a single personal statement for multiple course - can you still get uni offers for medicine and whatever other course by doing this?
Last edited by kira_k; 6 months ago
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kira_k)
I am unsure of whether I want to do medicine or maths/physics at Uni and have now got to start writing a personal statement. While I understand it isn't great to write a single personal statement for multiple course - can you still get uni offers for medicine and whatever other course by doing this?
Hi there!

I would personally create two personal statements. The reason being is that this is your opportunity to stand out from everyone else. If another course received your personal statement telling of your passions and motivations for medicine they aren't likely to be wowed by you because you probably don't seem so interested in their course.

I would perhaps write one and keep most personal content, your experiences etc but change sections about each course and why you would want to do that course and why you would be an ideal candidate. It's great that you have multiple interests so own it!

Hope this helps!
kira_k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi there!

I would personally create two personal statements. The reason being is that this is your opportunity to stand out from everyone else. If another course received your personal statement telling of your passions and motivations for medicine they aren't likely to be wowed by you because you probably don't seem so interested in their course.

I would perhaps write one and keep most personal content, your experiences etc but change sections about each course and why you would want to do that course and why you would be an ideal candidate. It's great that you have multiple interests so own it!

Hope this helps!
Hi there, Thanks for your advice. If you are applying through UCAS, I was told you are only allowed to submit one personal statement?
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there, Thanks for your advice. If you are applying through UCAS, I was told you are only allowed to submit one personal statement?
Create 2 personal statements and merge the two so that you can express your multiple interests.

If you get an interview further down the line, you can refer to either one of your personal statements for back up experiences and evidence for yourself.

Hope this helps!
kira_k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Create 2 personal statements and merge the two so that you can express your multiple interests.

If you get an interview further down the line, you can refer to either one of your personal statements for back up experiences and evidence for yourself.

Hope this helps!
This is very helpful - thank you very much!
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is very helpful - thank you very much!
You are welcome. If you need any more help please ask
Miss Scarlett
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would try and link the subjects together- e.g. Physics could relate to bioscience and has applications in medicine, so that it doesn't just look like you're unsure.
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I applied for math and medicine! On my ucas form i had my medicine application, but to my maths unis i emailed them my maths personal statement and they simply changed it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No - I have already returned home (36)
12.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (59)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.51%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.85%

Watched Threads