The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

showers at 4am.

I had sleeping issues in the past and I've become real sensitive about my sleep. Now I have a house mate who is lately deciding to have showers at 4 am. He goes to sleep at midnight wakes up at 4 just to shower and goes back to sleep. I have asked him why he showers at 4 am, he just said he likes to shower at that time. I have asked him to stop doing it at that time because our rooms are ensuite, the walls are made out of cheap material and the wall of the shower and my room share the wall so I hear everything. Yesterday was the worst I went to sleep at 3 am #lockdownsleeppattern and an hour later I get woken up by the shower noise and later a unexplicable noise that sounds similar to someone rocking back and forth on the bed ( he has no girlfriend). Now that I am up, I can't go back to sleep, I twist and turn and eventually I sleep at around 7am. I am being unreasenable here to get frustrated with this daily routine? what should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I had sleeping issues in the past and I've become real sensitive about my sleep. Now I have a house mate who is lately deciding to have showers at 4 am. He goes to sleep at midnight wakes up at 4 just to shower and goes back to sleep. I have asked him why he showers at 4 am, he just said he likes to shower at that time. I have asked him to stop doing it at that time because our rooms are ensuite, the walls are made out of cheap material and the wall of the shower and my room share the wall so I hear everything. Yesterday was the worst I went to sleep at 3 am #lockdownsleeppattern and an hour later I get woken up by the shower noise and later a unexplicable noise that sounds similar to someone rocking back and forth on the bed ( he has no girlfriend). Now that I am up, I can't go back to sleep, I twist and turn and eventually I sleep at around 7am. I am being unreasenable here to get frustrated with this daily routine? what should I do?

When you talked to him about not showering early morning, what was his actual response?

Is there anything you can do to block out the noise e.g. earplugs, noise cancelling headphones, etc.?

If you are in University managed accommodation and have tried resolving the issue yourself unsuccessfully, I would raise it with residential services. Any loud noise at 4am is unreasonable.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
If you are in University managed accommodation and have tried resolving the issue yourself unsuccessfully, I would raise it with residential services. Any loud noise at 4am is unreasonable.

I doubt showering would come under noise pollution
Original post by ANM775

It’s the timing not the action.
Reply 5
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
It’s the timing not the action.

yeh, it seems a bit unreasonable to me. he could've had a shower any time of the why then?
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775

it's not a student hall it's a private student accomodation.

Than you should follow whatever guidance their is in your tenancy agreement regarding anti-social behaviour. I would note how you have already tried to resolve the matter.

Are you both likely to be there long enough to make anything formal worth pursuing? If not, you'd be better with earplugs.

that's a shame. this is exactly what the res team would try to solve for you.

try noise cancelling earphones (wireless for most comfort I guess), talk to anyone who is in charge of the accom and complain, have another firmer conversation with the flatmate. it's not acceptable for them to be making that much noise at that time of the night, I am sorry! :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by yzanne
that's a shame. this is exactly what the res team would try to solve for you.

try noise cancelling earphones (wireless for most comfort I guess), talk to anyone who is in charge of the accom and complain, have another firmer conversation with the flatmate. it's not acceptable for them to be making that much noise at that time of the night, I am sorry! :frown:

nothing to be sorry about but I am suffer from anxiety and not hearing my internal heart beat noise makes it easier to sleep. I tried noise cancelation ear buds in the past they didnt help.
Original post by cheesecakelove
When you talked to him about not showering early morning, what was his actual response?

Is there anything you can do to block out the noise e.g. earplugs, noise cancelling headphones, etc.?

I could use headphones and listen to a diffrent more soothing sound. Im goonna talk to him first and then see how he responds.
nothing to be sorry about but I am suffer from anxiety and not hearing my internal heart beat noise makes it easier to sleep. I tried noise cancelation ear buds in the past they didnt help.

try listening to white noise / binaural beats. it will create a peaceful sound allowing your brain waves to relax. I use them for studying but they can be used for yoga too! super clever
4am bathroom habit is spiritual ritual . I do it by myself is believed that doing your spiritual hygiene at that time give u prosperus life.and also leave u feel refreshed all day
4am bathroom habit is spiritual ritual . I do it by myself is believed that doing your spiritual hygiene at that time give u prosperus life.and also leave u feel refreshed all day. U should try it tooxx

Okay xx shower at 4am is spiritual ritual. Maybe your friend is spiritual ... I'm spiritual myself and I do have habit myself to shower at 4am and meditate . Is believed that shower at 4am give you more prosperus life .as number has its own vibrations..your friend probably don't stop as that's normal to him