The Student Room Group

Question about the increase in difficulty from GCSE to A level

I'm predicted a 9 in GCSE Maths and French, and I'm doing them for A level, as well as Further Maths. Is it reasonable to say that I'll get A*s or does it get a lot harder?
For maths especially, GCSE predictions/results are pretty unreliable as indicators as there is honestly fairly little relation between them.

French less so, you have a strong chance of doing very well, it's too early to talk about A*'s just yet but I would think there'd be more of a correlation.

However what you must remember is that most of the people in all of your classes did very well at GCSE. Further maths especially, at my college the requirement is an 8. There will be people who got 9's in GCSEs that did not do great in A-levels. It's not up to me whether or not that's you, only you can decide that.

Good luck! You'll have a great time I'm sure. I hugely prefer sixth form over secondary school.
No, it's hard to predict exact grades from GCSEs. Of course if you breezed through gcse with a 9, you're more likely to get an A* than someone who tried really hard to scrape it.
Reply 3
Maths GCSE is wildly different to A-Level, and particularly Further Maths. The people getting Grade 7s in Maths can easily get A*s in Further Maths instead, it's all about concepts rather than methods. GCSE Maths requires a lot learnt methods. This isn't in FM or M.
Original post by ayumie
Maths GCSE is wildly different to A-Level, and particularly Further Maths. The people getting Grade 7s in Maths can easily get A*s in Further Maths instead, it's all about concepts rather than methods. GCSE Maths requires a lot learnt methods. This isn't in FM or M.

Would disagree - the whole of A-level is very computational and methods based.
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
Would disagree - the whole of A-level is very computational and methods based.

It's computational, perhaps, but I think FM is a lot about concepts rather than learning a set method to get an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest