The Student Room Group

Advice on preparing for A levels

Has anyone got any advice on preparing for A levels? I am definitely doing chemistry and english language so if anyone has any tips or key areas for me to look at then let me know! Im also either doing history, psychology or maths so any advice on them is also very helpful!

Also, let me know if you have any advice for year 12 and 13 so it’s as stress free as possible, and tips for how I should organise things and revise effectively. Thankyou!! :smile:
Original post by poppylouise34
Has anyone got any advice on preparing for A levels? I am definitely doing chemistry and english language so if anyone has any tips or key areas for me to look at then let me know! Im also either doing history, psychology or maths so any advice on them is also very helpful!

Also, let me know if you have any advice for year 12 and 13 so it’s as stress free as possible, and tips for how I should organise things and revise effectively. Thankyou!! :smile:

Hi poppylouise34 :hello:

I would recommend starting to read around the subjects you plan to do. In that way you can see what looks most interesting to you - which will help you make decisions about which A Levels are best for you.

It's also good to develop your revision skills. One tip I always tell people to remember is 'Study SMART Not Long'. This stands for:

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:
thankyou!!
For chemistry and maths, defo finish the GCSE content and strengthen it as much as you can. For Chemistry, I suggest watching some vids and try to get a rough understanding of the topics for when you actually learn them and look at Headstart to Chemistry CGP on Amazon as it's free on kindle edition. For maths, check out the CGP maths version as well and maybe look at the further maths gcse but cross-reference what you will be learning for AS to the gcse to ignore what you dont need to learn. For history, I suggest you watch some documentaries and youtube of the time period of the topics you will be doing for history to get a rough overview of what will happen. For psychology, look at the specification and do some wider reading on the course. However, I suggest you dont take it seriously and enjoy your break as much as you can and do this when you're bored or want to do something productive.

For general advice, I suggest making a plan of events that might happen during those times (I did this with summer schools and essay comps) and plan what you need for school (e.g. equipment) - Don't get textbooks tho until you're in yr 12. I suggest you start from the very beginning with revision, even if it's light, and use your frees effectively. Don't forget to approach your teachers and use their knowledge/ feedback the best you can. Good luck for A levels :h: I do maths and history so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :biggrin:
Original post by poppylouise34
thankyou!!

No problem! :biggrin:
Original post by PetitePanda
For chemistry and maths, defo finish the GCSE content and strengthen it as much as you can. For Chemistry, I suggest watching some vids and try to get a rough understanding of the topics for when you actually learn them and look at Headstart to Chemistry CGP on Amazon as it's free on kindle edition. For maths, check out the CGP maths version as well and maybe look at the further maths gcse but cross-reference what you will be learning for AS to the gcse to ignore what you dont need to learn. For history, I suggest you watch some documentaries and youtube of the time period of the topics you will be doing for history to get a rough overview of what will happen. For psychology, look at the specification and do some wider reading on the course. However, I suggest you dont take it seriously and enjoy your break as much as you can and do this when you're bored or want to do something productive.

For general advice, I suggest making a plan of events that might happen during those times (I did this with summer schools and essay comps) and plan what you need for school (e.g. equipment) - Don't get textbooks tho until you're in yr 12. I suggest you start from the very beginning with revision, even if it's light, and use your frees effectively. Don't forget to approach your teachers and use their knowledge/ feedback the best you can. Good luck for A levels :h: I do maths and history so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :biggrin:

thankyou this is so helpful!!:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
You've probably heard all this before but try keep up with content, make flashcards and go over content the same day. This will boost your grade up a lot. Plus, have a go at trying to find your ideal study method.

You might've already found it e.g. Mindmaps, but I found that finding the best revision technique SO time-consuming during Year 12 and I struggled to keep up with content as I was constantly switching which way I wrote flashcards etc. If you can find your structure for note-taking and flashcards, this will make you a lot more productive in the long run.

I'd also suggest buying binders, folders but this isn't necessary it just really helps with organisation. Before you start, I'd recommend going over Chemistry chapters until actual school ends. The heavy revision you do before GCSEs often sticks with you by the time you get to September, and helps a lot! Furthermore, I wish you the best of luck :smile: Those are really good options.
Original post by ayumie
You've probably heard all this before but try keep up with content, make flashcards and go over content the same day. This will boost your grade up a lot. Plus, have a go at trying to find your ideal study method.

You might've already found it e.g. Mindmaps, but I found that finding the best revision technique SO time-consuming during Year 12 and I struggled to keep up with content as I was constantly switching which way I wrote flashcards etc. If you can find your structure for note-taking and flashcards, this will make you a lot more productive in the long run.

I'd also suggest buying binders, folders but this isn't necessary it just really helps with organisation. Before you start, I'd recommend going over Chemistry chapters until actual school ends. The heavy revision you do before GCSEs often sticks with you by the time you get to September, and helps a lot! Furthermore, I wish you the best of luck :smile: Those are really good options.

thankyou so much!

Quick Reply

Latest