OLLY998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've got offers and Bristol Nottingham and Birmingham and also Bath and Loughborough. I'm struggling to work out which uni I should firm- I think I've got it down to between Bristol and Nottingham (or maybe Birmingham). Bristol is rated the best in the rankings and seems like a great student place but the sports aren't as good as the others uni's I have offers at and Nottingham seems like it's rated really well as a student city.. Even Loughborough seems to have amazing student experience which surprises me for such a small town. Was wondering if you guys had any opinions? Cheers!
__GooseMan__
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bristol is great as its located right next to a bunch (technical terminology) of industry. As you said its the highest ranked out of all your offers (congrats on getting all 5!). However Nottingham is great for sports and has a great Campus, you are a walk through a park away from lectures, sport and accomodation. I choose nottingham because its got a great department and campus, as well as being one of the few unis i was intrested in with a climbing wall.
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by OLLY998)
I've got offers and Bristol Nottingham and Birmingham and also Bath and Loughborough. I'm struggling to work out which uni I should firm- I think I've got it down to between Bristol and Nottingham (or maybe Birmingham). Bristol is rated the best in the rankings and seems like a great student place but the sports aren't as good as the others uni's I have offers at and Nottingham seems like it's rated really well as a student city.. Even Loughborough seems to have amazing student experience which surprises me for such a small town. Was wondering if you guys had any opinions? Cheers!
Hi OLLY998,

Congratulations on receiving all your offers!

Firstly, the best piece of advice I received when narrowing down my choices was to make a list of what I want out of university and then see where my options match up. Loughborough came out on top for me as my criteria were distance from home (far but not too far), course opportunities (placement year + optional modules) and sport/ other opportunities (the Students Union at Loughborough covered both). Hopefully that helps and gives you a few ideas on some criteria. I have had a great few years at Loughborough. It is a campus uni situated in a smaller town, but this does not make it any less great. Most unis you get out of them what you put in and Loughborough is no different. If you are willing to try new things, explore a bit and get involved as much as you can then you will have a great time here. This I believe is why our student experience is ranked as well as it is.

Ultimately you have to decide based on where you believe you will the happiest for the next minimum three years. Bristol and Nottingham are both great universities and if sport is a deciding factor for you maybe look at the surrounding areas to both universities as well to see what clubs you could join outside the university?

Hope this helps and any questions feel free to PM us.
Best Wishes,
Emily
OLLY998
Rep:
?
(Original post by __GooseMan__)
Bristol is great as its located right next to a bunch (technical terminology) of industry. As you said its the highest ranked out of all your offers (congrats on getting all 5!). However Nottingham is great for sports and has a great Campus, you are a walk through a park away from lectures, sport and accomodation. I choose nottingham because its got a great department and campus, as well as being one of the few unis i was intrested in with a climbing wall.
Great, thanks. I am starting to wish I used one of my 5 applying to Leeds - it seems a great place... Do you know anything about it? Also, what and where are the best halls for year one at Nottingham? thanks
__GooseMan__
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Great, thanks. I am starting to wish I used one of my 5 applying to Leeds - it seems a great place... Do you know anything about it? Also, what and where are the best halls for year one at Nottingham
No sorry, i dont really know anything about leeds. The best halls in my opinion are any on the park campus, which ones you want depend on budget and room type yada yada yada. All halls on park campus are catered for- so more expensive than the ones outside. There are only two halls to choose from which have ensuite if thats your thing. Accomodation application is open already and first come first served, i am not sure if you have to pick your two choices before you can apply though.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommo...red/index.aspx
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommo...dation-map.pdf
OLLY998
Rep:
?
No sorry, i dont really know anything about leeds. The best halls in my opinion are any on the park campus, which ones you want depend on budget and room type yada yada yada. All halls on park campus are catered for- so more expensive than the ones outside. There are only two halls to choose from which have ensuite if thats your thing. Accomodation application is open already and first come first served, i am not sure if you have to pick your two choices before you can apply though.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommo...red/index.aspx
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommo...dation-map.pdf
Great thanks! Is it easy to get from campus into the city? - there's a bus right? And how late does the bus run? Are there also busses running from the accommodation off campus? Thanks
__GooseMan__
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Great thanks! Is it easy to get from campus into the city? - there's a bus right? And how late does the bus run? Are there also busses running from the accommodation off campus? Thanks
Sorry, I don’t really know- I am not at Nottingham yet (hopefully!), I might have mislead you!
OLLY998
Rep:
?
Sorry, I don’t really know- I am not at Nottingham yet (hopefully!), I might have mislead you!
no worries, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads