The Student Room Group

If you could attend classes at a local uni, would you change your uni choice?

We don't know what's going to be happening in the future; but if it turned out you'd be allowed to go to real-life classes at your local uni sooner rather than later, would you want to do that?

I'm wondering whether, if it turned out the phased exit from lockdown involved continuing to limit long-distance travel, but unis could open to local students, would you consider changing your uni choice?

Don't worry, there's no secret intel we have on this at all, we were just wondering if this would be preferable if it meant you could start in-person teaching sooner. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't really have a local uni, so I guess no?
Original post by Theloniouss
I don't really have a local uni, so I guess no?

Haha fair enough! Are you due to start uni in 2020? Are you still planning on going if it's online teaching for a bit?
I suppose I would. I commute across London for my course snd it’s the commuting that is more worrying than attending university. If I could walk to classes (or work, sane issue there) it would be brilliant.
So would have to be walkable. Which is probably easier for students in campus anyway.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Haha fair enough! Are you due to start uni in 2020? Are you still planning on going if it's online teaching for a bit?

I am due to to start 2020, yeah - If I meet my firm offer I'll start online but if not I won't.
my firm is my local uni anyway :biggrin: (or near enough) and yes I'd attend what they can teach online (I'm doing vet nursing so much more practical based)
No.

I did have this option this year, I just need to clear up a few units after a deferral previously and my old college at the end of my street has just this year started offering the same HND course, but no, I still traipse across the country from Glasgow to Edinburgh to finish it there simply because of the SRUC name. within the sector it's known worldwide...my old college? no one is going to have a clue where/what that is.
My local university doesn't offer the course I want, and the nearest one that does is around two hours commute each way... so it wouldn't work for me, unfortunately. :tongue:
Original post by Catherine1973
I suppose I would. I commute across London for my course snd it’s the commuting that is more worrying than attending university. If I could walk to classes (or work, sane issue there) it would be brilliant.
So would have to be walkable. Which is probably easier for students in campus anyway.

Ah okay, so you're currently studying at uni? Do you think you'd consider changing universities to be closer? Or just manage with online teaching for a bit if that's how it works out?

Original post by Theloniouss
I am due to to start 2020, yeah - If I meet my firm offer I'll start online but if not I won't.

Cool - well best of luck with your offer! :biggrin:
I mean I have 3 local unis, the best being Surrey which is a very good uni, so I would if they actually did my course. They don't do my joint honours though so I would just have to do one of the subjects. :frown:
Reply 10
Warwick Uni is close to me, but it's not actually in Warwick. If it wasn't so close, I'd love to study there.
My uni is ten times better than the one in my city, so no. I wouldn't go to the local one even if they paid me to study there
Going from the best to the worst? No. God No. It is really good if you want to be a nurse or Midwife because of it's connection to an excellent local hospital, but it has come bottom of the league table a few times. That's putting aside the fact I don't even think they do my course.

There's also the fact that I would have to take local transport to get there (train or bus) which would be more dangerous than if I was just close to my uni and could walk.
Original post by bambi1425
my firm is my local uni anyway :biggrin: (or near enough) and yes I'd attend what they can teach online (I'm doing vet nursing so much more practical based)

Ah lovely! Oh cool, so do you reckon you'll just do the more theoretical modules first, then maybe more prac stuff when unis are open again?

Original post by StriderHort
No.

I did have this option this year, I just need to clear up a few units after a deferral previously and my old college at the end of my street has just this year started offering the same HND course, but no, I still traipse across the country from Glasgow to Edinburgh to finish it there simply because of the SRUC name. within the sector it's known worldwide...my old college? no one is going to have a clue where/what that is.

That's really interesting. So if you'd moved to the college at the end of your street, it feels like you wouldn't graduate with the reputation of SRUC on your transcript. Do you think you'll still be happy with studying those last modules online from SRUC if cross-country travel isn't allowed?
That's really interesting. So if you'd moved to the college at the end of your street, it feels like you wouldn't graduate with the reputation of SRUC on your transcript. Do you think you'll still be happy with studying those last modules online from SRUC if cross-country travel isn't allowed?

most likely, I thinkkk thats how it is anyway with the basic science and such first but obviously we need to do some form of practical at some point, which requires close contact to work together well. so hope we are okay soon :smile:

No, definitely not, in academic and industry terms my old college are just dipping their toe in and best of luck to therm, but as much as I had no issue with the quality of college tuition, most of them had a degree, if that, many were more time served in their vocation, which is great for vocational learning but that's all they have. SRUC is a higher level, far more Dr's and various post grad work/research going on, incomparable in terms of lab/land resources.

I'm not massively keen on online only delivery, and for us it does remove a fair bit of practical and lab stuff, but i'm lucky enough that our terms are pretty early (3rd term starts Feb for us) and i've only got a few odds and ends of work remaining that i can handle from home.
Original post by yzanne
I mean I have 3 local unis, the best being Surrey which is a very good uni, so I would if they actually did my course. They don't do my joint honours though so I would just have to do one of the subjects. :frown:

Do you reckon if online learning is still in place you'd consider switching if it meant you could attend actual classes in person there for that one subject? Or would you stick it out with online learning at your current choice?

Original post by Racresmol
My uni is ten times better than the one in my city, so no. I wouldn't go to the local one even if they paid me to study there

Haha fair enough! So definitely worth sticking it out with online learning for a while to stay at your current choice then, I'm guessing!
Haha fair enough! So definitely worth sticking it out with online learning for a while to stay at your current choice then, I'm guessing!

In principle yeah, in practice it's a non-issue, as our teaching period finishes in march anyway and I'm graduating in a month! Haha
The uni closest to me doesn't do any course related to what i will be studying. None in wales do and since its a practical subject i cant study online
Do you reckon if online learning is still in place you'd consider switching if it meant you could attend actual classes in person there for that one subject? Or would you stick it out with online learning at your current choice?

online, unless they made it possible for me to do both courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending