klb9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My question is the same as the previous question I asked and wanted to know if that would change my answer

Daphnia can be used to investigate the effect of chemicals such as caffeine on heart rate by placing it in a drop of water under a microscope and counting the heart beat.
State two variables that you would need to control for a valid investigation into the effect of caffeine on the heart rate of the Daphnia. Describe how to control these variables.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, (I am not sure what "previous Q" you mean)

1. Temperature: you need to keep a steady temp - we know that enzymes work faster at a higher temp - also that our own (human) heart rate is faster when we have a pyrexia (fever) by 10 beats/min for every 1C above the normal 37C.

As we are using a drop of water ONLY, keep the room temp steady e.g. at 25C with a thermostat.
2. pH: keep the pH steady; different physiological processes work differently in low or high pH conditions.

Use litmus paper(??)

3. Supply of O2
4. Supply of fatty acids - these are the main substrate of human myocardial cells - I have no idea about Daphnia's heart.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (641)
49.19%

Watched Threads