The Student Room Group

Year 12 School Reopening

Poll

Year 12 School Reopening

According to many sources school may open for year 10 and year 12 as early as next month. Do you think that will happen and how many think that this is the right decision?

Scroll to see replies

1. don't think it will happen
2. this is not the right decision as it doesn't take into consideration how some kids get to school (some have to get the train, bus etc)
3. many parents will simply refuse to send their kids to school especially if their kid has asthma, diabetes etc
4. would prefer if schools didn't open before September
Reply 2
Original post by 1st superstar
1. don't think it will happen
2. this is not the right decision as it doesn't take into consideration how some kids get to school (some have to get the train, bus etc)
3. many parents will simply refuse to send their kids to school especially if their kid has asthma, diabetes etc
4. would prefer if schools didn't open before September

Absolutely agree with you. Schools are 'disease spreaders' and social distancing is difficult to maintain in school especially for the younger years. The Republic Of Ireland and Italy are both reopening schools in September which I think is the right choice.
Original post by juan3357
According to many sources school may open for year 10 and year 12 as early as next month. Do you think that will happen and how many think that this is the right decision?

It's a very controversial topic, if you want to look at some year 122's discussions, in detail, then I recommend you look at the 'Whats happening to year 12s?' thread or the 'Year 10 and 12 to go into school during the summer holidays' thread - endless opinions on these threads.

I personally do want schools to open next month, and I think it will as the government want to get the economy moving again. However its going to be a long process and they can't just open schools at the click of a finger....
Reply 4

I agree with @1st superstar - I don’t think it would be a good idea to do, with it requiring public transport, etc and social distancing being nearly impossible. I think a lot of parents would keep their children off aswell, especially if they’re more vunerable.

I also don’t agree sending primary school children back - it will create an army of asymptomatic kids who act as vectors to pass on the virus.

Whether it will happen or not, I have no idea. The government have said they would look at returning pupils to schools, and year 10 and year 12 would be the pupils with the highest priority to return (in order to prepare for exams).
No it wont. For any plan of people going back to places like schools, the death rate needs to fall consistently that it will reach a standard that the NHS won't be overwhelmed if there was a sudden increase when they experiment with possible plans. Furthermore, if the standard was met, then there will be time for a plan to happen with all complications in mind like public transport. It's just very unlikely it will happen next month and it's a bad decision if they do so, especially if it's a ****ty plan.
if kids were to go back to school little by little here's what my order would be:
1. the current Y10's and Y12's
2. the current Y7's
3. the current Y5
4. the current R-Y4
5. The current Y9's
6. the current Y8's
if kids were to go back to school little by little here's what my order would be:
1. the current Y10's and Y12's
2. the current Y7's
3. the current Y5
4. the current R-Y4
5. The current Y9's
6. the current Y8's

Can I ask why Y7s so early on? I would personally do: Y10+12, R-Y2, Y9, Y3-Y6 and then Y7s and 8s
Original post by Becca216
Can I ask why Y7s so early on? I would personally do: Y10+12, R-Y2, Y9, Y3-Y6 and then Y7s and 8s

They are in their 1st year of secondary school so it's important imo and they need support and are most likely the youngest of the school. (then the rest I did it based on "importance" and "safety" I view Y8 and Y9 to be the "least important" year groups in secondary school. If the Y9's started their GCSEs this year then they can simply cover the content next year or if they are in KS3, end of KS3 tests are not important imo so yeah.)
They are in their 1st year of secondary school so it's important imo and they need support and are most likely the youngest of the school. (then the rest I did it based on "importance" and "safety" I view Y8 and Y9 to be the "least important" year groups in secondary school. If the Y9's started their GCSEs this year then they can simply cover the content next year or if they are in KS3, end of KS3 tests are not important imo so yeah.)

You've forgotten Year 6 - they need to be in school for induction and transfer days - it's bad enough in September after the KS2 tests [and schools 'relaxing' their teaching] to get them up to speed again. It will be h*ll for them and us poor teachers if they've had 6 months off.
Reply 10
As it stands so far the poll suggest a greater percentage of people want schools to open. Is there any reason why among the people who voted for this choice? There seems to be more negatives in reopening schools in my opinion.
Original post by Muttley79
You've forgotten Year 6 - they need to be in school for induction and transfer days - it's bad enough in September after the KS2 tests [and schools 'relaxing' their teaching] to get them up to speed again. It will be h*ll for them and us poor teachers if they've had 6 months off.

didn't do/include the current Y6 as there is no point in them returning to primary school as they have no exams however they should spend a couple of days or weeks in their chosen secondary school so that they can get "back on track" and only return to their primary school to say a quick goodbye.
As it stands so far the poll suggest a greater percentage of people want schools to open. Is there any reason why among the people who voted for this choice? There seems to be more negatives in reopening schools in my opinion.

I think people are picking on the basis of what they WANT to happen not on the basis of what's the right decision.
didn't do/include the current Y6 as there is no point in them returning to primary school as they have no exams however they should spend a couple of days or weeks in their chosen secondary school so that they can get "back on track" and only return to their primary school to say a quick goodbye.

No exams but a radically different experience - far more important than KS1 children to get back into learning,. Any teacher will agree with me - they will suffer just as much as Year 10 and 12 if they don't go back as one of the first cohorts.
Original post by Muttley79
No exams but a radically different experience - far more important than KS1 children to get back into learning,. Any teacher will agree with me - they will suffer just as much as Year 10 and 12 if they don't go back as one of the first cohorts.

True I think that they should be one of the first ones go back to school (if schools open before September)
Reply 15
I think people are picking on the basis of what they WANT to happen not on the basis of what's the right decision.

Yeah absolutely. You can argue that it can have detrimental impact on your learning however unless the number of cases are falling and the number of deaths are reducing day by day then they should considering school reopening. Unfortunately this is not happening. The number of deaths are fluctuating day by day and there is a great uncertainty as to what could happen next week/month.
Yeah absolutely. You can argue that it can have detrimental impact on your learning however unless the number of cases are falling and the number of deaths are reducing day by day then they should considering school reopening. Unfortunately this is not happening. The number of deaths are fluctuating day by day and there is a great uncertainty as to what could happen next week/month.

true

I agree. I miss my peer mentee - I hope he's okay.

It's because it's much easier for people to go back to school sooner because of many factors with a obvious reason being not getting work done but it's just not realistic to be that soon. Although I want to go back to school, I dont want to go this soon for consideration of the NHS, especially my parents who work there as I dont want them to be more stressed, as well as possibly vulnerable people.

It will happen and schools will not have a say. Tough times when eventually students will end up getting corona and spreading it.

Quick Reply

Latest