Heptco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am currently in trying to finalise, with my school, what A-levels I should take. I am also thinking about which degrees would best suit me and what I want to do later on in life. At present, I am quite eager about the thought of a Law degree at a top university.

My initial choices were English Lit, Biology and History along with and EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I wanted to change my decision and take 4 A-levels (adding on Drama) while still keeping the EPQ so I wrote to my school to ask for this change. My school, however, have responded and said that I would not be able to take 4 and an EPQ as it wouldn't fit my timetable.

This means that I know have to choose between taking 4 A-levels or taking 3 and an EPQ.

Therefore my question to students perhaps studying Law or any degrees similar at top universities is would the EPQ boost my chances of getting accepted more than taking 4 A-levels?
(Should I take 4 or 3 with an EPQ?)

Any advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated!
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Heptco)
Hello, I am currently in trying to finalise, with my school, what A-levels I should take. I am also thinking about which degrees would best suit me and what I want to do later on in life. At present, I am quite eager about the thought of a Law degree at a top university.

My initial choices were English Lit, Biology and History along with and EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I wanted to change my decision and take 4 A-levels (adding on Drama) while still keeping the EPQ so I wrote to my school to ask for this change. My school, however, have responded and said that I would not be able to take 4 and an EPQ as it wouldn't fit my timetable.

This means that I know have to choose between taking 4 A-levels or taking 3 and an EPQ.

Therefore my question to students perhaps studying Law or any degrees similar at top universities is would the EPQ boost my chances of getting accepted more than taking 4 A-levels?
(Should I take 4 or 3 with an EPQ?)

Any advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated!
You only need 3 a levels
Heptco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
You only need 3 a levels
Yes, I know that however I have been told that taking 4 shows universities that you can manage a heavy workload and can show a wide breadth of knowledge in general.
I was wondering whether it is better to take the 4 or to instead do an EPQ.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh I think you would boost your chances with 3 and an EPQ because you need 3 a levels and an epq is a really great way to your interest in law and it's something you could talk about in a personal statement and potentially interviews. Tbh you would lower your chances with 4 A levels since you could get a lower grade overall than if you just did 3 a levels, not assuming you would though but it's a possibility - A*AA is better than an AAAB. Since you wont know anything about law, you do need the time to do stuff to show your interest for it and 4 a levels are hard to put that in and you can learn more about law with an EPQ. 4 A levels is risky and I only suggest it if you are genuinely interested in all of them, not for any reasons like showings unis you can do 4 or anything like that. For law, especially the subjects dont really matter but more so the grades and interest in the course and obviously LNAT, which you will need time to practice and prepare for if you are going to an LNAT uni like Oxford or Bristol.
Euphoria101
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Heptco)
Yes, I know that however I have been told that taking 4 shows universities that you can manage a heavy workload and can show a wide breadth of knowledge in general.
I was wondering whether it is better to take the 4 or to instead do an EPQ.
I believe that LSE and KCL, at least when I applied last year, do openly say they appreciate students who take an EPQ/4th AS. While it isn't necessary and obviously loads of students get offers with solely 3 core subjects, if you can handle it then go ahead.

I heavily would advise against doing 4 A-Levels unless one of them is FM. 3 A-Levels and an EPQ is perfectly impressive and there's absolutely no need whatsoever for 4 full A-Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
6.19%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (26)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (34)
15.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.1%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (20)
8.85%
Financial worries (13)
5.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
3.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
7.08%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (28)
12.39%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (16)
7.08%

Watched Threads