The Student Room Group

Degree classification. Missed out on a 1st class degree by 0.05%

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
It's highly unusual for a mark this close to the boundary not to be bumped up to a first. Usually 69.51 or greater is awarded a I, and in some places, anything higher than 69 is.

You seem to be suggesting that you actually can resit this. Again, this is unusual. If you've taken an assessment and been graded in it without any serious adverse circumstances or other things to nullify the mark, you usually cannot ask to be a candidate again in parts you've already been assessed in - that would be having two bites at the cherry. To retrospectively apply serious adverse circumstances to an exam/assessment already sat (as you are suggesting in your post) is highly unusual, and only relates to circumstances where you didn't realise that your performance was being affected by the adverse circumstance(s)

Are you quite sure that you would even be able to resit?

When I was at uni, I respectively managed to resit an assignment and it be classed as a first attempt due to extenuating circumstances (at the time I was not in the right place to have put in the appeal). However I did get evidence from my then CBT therapist and doctor. I think it is rare but it's doable.

OP - If you want to resit it then go for it. Probably better to try and fail (well hopefully not fail but do a bit worse and still get a 2.1) than not know if you could have done better/got a first. Good luck :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
When I was at uni, I respectively managed to resit an assignment and it be classed as a first attempt due to extenuating circumstances (at the time I was not in the right place to have put in the appeal). However I did get evidence from my then CBT therapist and doctor. I think it is rare but it's doable.

OP - If you want to resit it then go for it. Probably better to try and fail (well hopefully not fail but do a bit worse and still get a 2.1) than not know if you could have done better/got a first. Good luck :smile:

That's a good result, BB - and as you suggest, I think it's one of the rare circumstances where you can validly apply for retrospective ECs. Just as you say - 'rare but doable' if the evidence and circumstances warrant it. :smile:
PRSOM.

In the end, there has to be a line - and some people will inevitably fall just the wrong side of it. But hard cases make bad laws.

100%

Its a standard, plenty of unis over time have allowed what a 1st or a 2.1 means to be chipped away so much so its arguably already a grey area.

Im no longer a fan of the UK grading system, im starting to think it would just be easier for everyone reverting to GPA and this was printed on degree certificates (alongside the classification). Postgrad study & employers could simply ask for a percentage requirement from a UK undergraduate degree and everyone would know what it meant (it would also reward those who are performing strongly throughout their whole degree, not just final year edit: and someone such as OP gets the recognition they deserve and not arbitrarily be considered the same as someone who achieves 62%).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
100%

Its a standard, plenty of unis over time have allowed what a 1st or a 2.1 means to be chipped away so much so its arguably already a grey area.

Im no longer a fan of the UK grading system, im starting to think it would just be easier for everyone reverting to GPA and this was printed on degree certificates (alongside the classification). Postgrad study & employers could simply ask for a percentage requirement from a UK undergraduate degree and everyone would know what it meant (it would also reward those who are performing strongly throughout their whole degree, not just final year edit: and someone such as OP gets the recognition they deserve and not arbitrarily be considered the same as someone who achieves 62%).

Yep, couldn't agree more. I've even read a thread recently where someone who got a 68.0 was bumped up to a first... :gasp:

Exactly as you say, the difference in attainment between someone getting 69.5 and someone scraping a 61 is vast, and to consider them in the same 'band' is pretty meaningless. The granularity that GPA provides gives the student a sense of justice, and the employer an easy way of separating the wheat from the chaff.
It's annoying, but you're better off just moving on probably instead of wasting half your summer on this. Do more useful things instead. I presume you'll be either moving onto your post-grad, or into work?

Spend your time preparing for that instead.

I dropped a grade in my BSc because of a bureaucratic miscommunication among my faculty leadership, at a university abroad. Some of it was my fault too, but the details will bore you. And it was a bit political/personal. I fought them on it for two reasons:
1) Hoping they would fix my grade.
2) I wanted to get as much evidence out of them in writing. This nearly ended up in court (that was option 2a), but instead I showed it to my new uni (option 2b) where I was applying to for my MSc, and they bought the story. Basically, my previous university was extremely uncooperative, and I used that to my advantage. It made them look bad, and made me look good. My predicted grade was going to be a first, and I dropped 10% instead right at the end.

Personal stories aside here, my point is... be a little more strategic. I didn't honestly give a flying toss about dropping a grade, provided I still got into the university of my choice and onto the degree I wanted. My grades were just a means to that end, and at the end of the day, I simply found 'other means' to achieve the same thing.

If you dropping a grade, honestly doesn't affect your future prospects (and a 2:1 compared to a 1:1 usually doesn't), then in my opinion you shouldn't trouble yourself over it too much.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yep, couldn't agree more. I've even read a thread recently where someone who got a 68.0 was bumped up to a first... :gasp:

Exactly as you say, the difference in attainment between someone getting 69.5 and someone scraping a 61 is vast, and to consider them in the same 'band' is pretty meaningless. The granularity that GPA provides gives the student a sense of justice, and the employer an easy way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending