The discontent at Edexcel History marking thread.

Watch
Mr_Steve_Stifler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Alright, I'm not the only one who is really pissed off. I ended up with a B but with a very good unit 3 mark. Still, I think there was a serious error of marking in my other 2 papers. Here are my grades:

History 1: 81/120: C
History 2: 50/90: D
History 3: 76/90: A

Ok, I used the exact techniques required for an A with near full marks from the teachers guide. And I answered the question (keeping my mind on it all the way through the exam). FFS our class even did the exact question for unit 2 as a practice before and i got near full marks (i used that essay for the exam). How the **** did I get so bad then?!!! Was my Edexcel marker on smack while he/she was reading my scripit?! Same for unit 1 too, the Hitler question was a typical recurring question and I ripped the sources apart!!! I don't get it, something has gone ****ed up with their marking. Peace.
tetters
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
same, theres already a thread going about the same thing with a lot of responses

i was predicted all A's in history, got an A at AS with 14 marks over the boundary, this year which i thought i had done 10x better in and put about 100x more work into, i got a low B which brought we down to a B overall at 477, 3 marks off an A and not only that 3 marks off of getting a £2000 grant from Reading. I'm going to remark all of them, even if it does cost £150 to remark 3 papers under preferential treatment i want to get the grades i was supposed to get so justice is done for all the hard work that went into working my fecking arse off to get AAA and the grant. I mean 3 marks ! Come on !
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edexcel - AS History I got 2 A's in the exams I was pretty confident about and a E in the one I was 100% sure I messed up (Wrong dates and everything). If my 2 A's are wrongly marked then its fine by me .
iSimon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hmm in my AS chemistry I got

Module 1 75/90 A
Module 2 47/90 D
Module 3 96/120 A

B overall

I dunno if my module 2 is really that bad...or it's an error...I don't remember doing that badly in the exam...I'm requesting a photocopy of my paper to find out.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love Edexcell history. Full marks in Unit 6 80 odd in the other two this year :yep:
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Seems to be something strange going on with AQA's English Lit marking, too.

Honestly, can't these people do their damn jobs?
Fictitious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think there's definitely been an error somewhere with AS Edexcel History
I got an A overall, which I was really pleased about, but my UMS scores don't really add up.

Unit 1 - 84/120 (scraped a 'b' by literally one mark)
Unit 2 - 88/90 (a)
Unit 3 - 85/90 (a)

So, prior to the June exam, I'd dropped 7 UMS... and now I've ended up dropping 43 altogether! Loads of people are extremely confused about their results. I think I'm going to ask for a photocopy, see what my tutor thinks of my paper and go for the re-mark if it's worth it. Maybe you could do the same? It's so frustrating when you've put the effort in and worked so hard and your results don't seem to reflect it! I had the same issue with Edexcel last year for GCSE Drama - I've been paranoid about the exam board ever since and after reading the threads on here and in my own experience, it's no wonder why! :no:

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, good luck
lazza
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/.../13/schools.uk

This is what happened at my old school a few years ago

What they don't mention is that the reason why the marks were put down was because the concepts used were a higher standard than alevel asks for. Higher, in fact, than the examiners knowledge. Eventually this went to the courts as this was the year group with the highest state school entry to oxbridge in the country...

That and several other incedents (a friend of mine going from a D to an A on an economics remark...) stopped me trusting exam boards!! I do wonder with all this hooha about A* grades if they'll actually sort out the marking so that people who deserve that grade are getting them!!
debrajane
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Arghhh not just me then!

Unit one 60/120 =/ D

two: 70/90 B
three: 76/90 A

4 of a B

i wanted an A though

Retake for me then.
clozet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not edexcel but ocr (for history)
got acc, c overall. high a as well - 79/90
one mark off a B!!
and i wanted - and worked my arse off for - an A.
so so so gutted.
exam boards suck.
Student101010
Report 12 years ago
got AABB,

both my b's were surpise surprise from edexcel.

Geo unit 1 - 72/90 (A)
unit 2 - 79/90 (A)
unit 3 - 74/120 (C) cwk.

Urghhh if didn't get marked so badly would have got an A.

Maths C1 - 86/90 - thought i got in 90's.
C2 - 70/90 :eek thought around 80.
S1 - 78/90 - fair enough.

Both subjects have been with edexcel and to put it in context i believe their marking is erratic
Lizbut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm so annoyed. Got a good B last year. This year? U in Unit 4, D in Unit 6 and my coursework got brought down from borderline A to a D! I thought it was just me, but some other people (definite A grade students) also got Us in one of their modules, which has meant that one of them has not gotten into their first choice due to this stupid error.
srwences
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
Seems to be something strange going on with AQA's English Lit marking, too.

Honestly, can't these people do their damn jobs?
Really?

Loads of people at my sixth form were rather angry after falling way off their targets in English for AS.

I got an A, which I was expecting. However, on closer examination - I realised that I'd achieved it by just 1 mark, which I wasn't expecting!

Turns out I got full marks on Shakespeare coursework, a comfortable A on the "Modern Novel" exam for "Spies" but then a low C for the "Texts in Context" exam.

That was particularly strange since we had actually done the exam question for Chaucer in class that came up in the exam. My teacher marked it 20/20. I also felt "The Miller's Tale" went well too.

There definitely must be something amiss there.
albolton
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As I have said before, my teachers touted my friend as Oxbridge History material. In Edexcel AS, he got a C grade. That is not like him at all.
sean43
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ahh im not alone in being a bit bemused at Edexcel History marking. I wanted a B overall but I ended up with a C because of module 5 where I scored 36/90, 1 off a U.
Kaz007
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For those who think they're alone with Edexcel, it's not just them! My school has significantly underperformed in OCR History, and in fact I myself have come down from an A that I was expecting to a B! I know loads of you will say that's not the end of the world, but its one heck of a killer when you miss your university offer.

The strange thing is that it's the coursework module in which we've all got bad grades. Now one of my teachers is very experienced and he feels that they weren't anywhere near as bad as they've come back. I and many others have gone for a remark, and we're just praying that our universities show a little sympathy as well.
hautecouture15
Report 12 years ago
ME! I was predicted a B and got a C overall!

hist1: 66/120 -d
hist2: 68/90 -b
hist3: 63/90 -b

I am getting mine remarked and a copy of the paper!
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it's history marking; it will always bemuse.

i retook HI4 (not on Edexcel), after missing an A by one point the first time round, although i wrote two solid essays. i didn't nail my exam technique, my specific problem being writing to time, and consequently wrote one awesome essay and one gigantic stinking turd of an essay, which was no doubt the worst thing i have committed to paper in an exam. the result: my mark improved by a point.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love how people blame the marking not themselves.
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Devel)
Edexcel - AS History I got 2 A's in the exams I was pretty confident about and a E in the one I was 100% sure I messed up (Wrong dates and everything). If my 2 A's are wrongly marked then its fine by me .
Quoting myself due to the fact I read the units wrong.
I got an A in one unit I was confident about.
I got an E in one unit I was confident about.:no:
I got an A in one unit I thought I had a U in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed