The Student Room Group

Useless degree

Hi, I study geography at ucl and I’m beginning to think what a waste of an opportunity. I got all A*s in maths, geography, economics and French but my prospects with geography seem pretty bad. What can I even do with this degree? I want a well-respected career but one in finance now seems unattainable. Please help :frown:

(Anon because I don’t want to be identified)
Reply 1
Original post by SomMC1
Whats the transfer policy at ucl after completing year 1?
i know people from kcl and some have jumped to other courses after year 1.

I’d have to start a degree in economics etc again and I’m going into year 3 in September
Reply 2
Original post by xxgossipgirlxx
rock shagging bint
xoxo gossip girl

What? Please leave me alone
Reply 3
Thank you for this :smile: would you happen to know masters courses in finance or law that would accept a geography degree?
sadly I don't know what to advise you - I didn't do geography at GCSE and I'm going into my last year of biomed x
but if you need someone to talk to you can message me :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for this :smile: would you happen to know masters courses in finance or law that would accept a geography degree?

MSc in Finance at LSE
Original post by xxgossipgirlxx
rock shagging bint
xoxo gossip girl

Leave them alone ya dirty toothpick
Reply 7
Geography is not useless. Especially at UCL.
Also you don't even need to do anything geography related.
Reply 8
Complete what you are currently doing. There are so many things you can do with it:

Do a Masters in Finance/Business Analytics/Investment banking etc
Sit professional exams to become an accountant /actuarist etc
Get a job in finance as a trainee where they will pay for your training on the job and sit professional exams as well.
Hi, I study geography at ucl and I’m beginning to think what a waste of an opportunity. I got all A*s in maths, geography, economics and French but my prospects with geography seem pretty bad. What can I even do with this degree? I want a well-respected career but one in finance now seems unattainable. Please help :frown:

(Anon because I don’t want to be identified)

cartographer.
commercial, residential or rural surveyor.
environmental manager.
exploration geologist.
facilities manager.
geographic information systems manager.
geomatics/land surveyor.
landscape architect. You. Can do all of that
Original post by Rugbee
Complete what you are currently doing. There are so many things you can do with it:

Do a Masters in Finance/Business Analytics/Investment banking etc
Sit professional exams to become an accountant /actuarist etc
Get a job in finance as a trainee where they will pay for your training on the job and sit professional exams as well.

Thanks, those masters are obviously very competitive but at least I can see now how I can redirect my career path
Thanks, those masters are obviously very competitive but at least I can see now how I can redirect my career path

Yes , to be honest I don’t know that much , I’m still in year 11 lol
Original post by Nathalieb280
Yes , to be honest I don’t know that much , I’m still in year 11 lol

I was replying to a different user
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/lelempref
This course at Cambridge specifically mentions geography grads which is encouraging :smile:
The Real Estate Finance MPhil course at Cambridge specifically mentions geography graduates which is encouraging
Original post by SomMC1
Whats the transfer policy at ucl after completing year 1?
i know people from kcl and some have jumped to other courses after year 1.

Also what and where do you study? Do you think geography has good prospects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending