This discussion is closed.
Phil Wilson
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I've seen a Govt document that states classroom teaches will be on £28000 pa minimum after 5 years
teaching and also some gossip that the main scale changes. I'm on Point 9 and somebody told me I'll
be on something called M6 from September.Does that mean my pay will be heading north! Or is it more
hoops or just a re-announcement of old money?

Any details?

Phil Wilson

--
[email protected]
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article <[email protected]> , Phil Wilson <[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>I've seen a Govt document that states classroom teaches will be on £28000 pa minimum after 5 years[/q1]
[q1]>teaching and also some gossip that the main scale changes. I'm on Point 9 and somebody told me I'll[/q1]
[q1]>be on something called M6 from September.Does that mean my pay will be heading north! Or is it more[/q1]
[q1]>hoops or just a re-announcement of old money?[/q1]

They lied, again. Teachers are on a minimum of £25,746 per annum after 5 years of teaching - point
M6. (M probably for Management, as you'll have to manage the teaching of a load of assistants while
you do the paperwork and then take the fall for poor teaching later on).

If you apply for and go through threshold, your pay will be £27,894. Still not £28,000 minimum.

It's just spin. If you don't get through threshold, then it's moot. If you don't apply, it's moot.
The max you can earn as a regular classroom teacher, without the stress of 8 hours of paperwork and
begging for more money, is £25,756 in September 2002.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Year 5 Teacher
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Check out the pay scales on www.nasuwt.org.uk

"Phil Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I've seen a Govt document that states classroom teaches will be on £28000 pa minimum after 5 years[/q1]
[q1]> teaching and also some gossip that the main scale changes. I'm on Point 9 and somebody told me[/q1]
[q1]> I'll be on something called M6 from September.Does that mean my pay will be heading north! Or is[/q1]
[q1]> it more hoops or just a re-announcement of old money?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any details?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Phil Wilson[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected][/q1]
Jo L
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
If you are already on the top of the scale then the new scale won't make a difference - see
www.tes.co.uk for details, it makes a difference for us current NQTs instead of going onto Point 3
next year we will jump to the old point 4, thus gaining payrise of approx £2000 rather than approx
£1000 and we will be able to pass the threshold sooner - whoopie !!!!!

Jo
Easdon
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Jo L wrote:

we will be able to pass the threshold sooner - whoopie !!!!!
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> We'd be better off with Jean-Luc passing through a 'wormhold'!!!!!!!![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 23 May 2002 05:18:55 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-mk.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <[email protected]> , Phil Wilson <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >I've seen a Govt document that states classroom teaches will be on £28000 pa minimum after 5[/q2]
[q2]> >years teaching and also some gossip that the main scale changes. I'm on Point 9 and somebody told[/q2]
[q2]> >me I'll be on something called M6 from September.Does that mean my pay will be heading north! Or[/q2]
[q2]> >is it more hoops or just a re-announcement of old money?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> They lied, again. Teachers are on a minimum of £25,746 per annum after 5 years of teaching - point[/q1]
[q1]> M6. (M probably for Management, as you'll have to manage the teaching of a load of assistants[/q1]
[q1]> while you do the paperwork and then take the fall for poor teaching later on).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you apply for and go through threshold, your pay will be £27,894. Still not £28,000 minimum.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It's just spin. If you don't get through threshold, then it's moot. If you don't apply, it's moot.[/q1]
[q1]> The max you can earn as a regular classroom teacher, without the stress of 8 hours of paperwork[/q1]
[q1]> and begging for more money, is £25,756 in September 2002.[/q1]

London weighting?

Recruitment and retention points?

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ----------------------------------------------------[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

==============================

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
full height. On, on, you noblest English.
*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 24 May 2002 05:16:37 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-fl.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <sgnqeusnfr4mqkr5fov8u3ukrq83tfg [email protected]>, *Ace*[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]'t.btinterne t.com> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > If you apply for and go through threshold, your pay will be £27,894. Still not[/q2]
[q2]> >> £28,000 minimum.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> It's just spin. If you don't get through threshold, then it's moot. If you don't apply, it's[/q2]
[q2]> >> moot. The max you can earn as a regular classroom[/q2]
[q2]> >teacher,[/q2]
[q2]> >> without the stress of 8 hours of paperwork and begging for more money, is £25,756 in September[/q2]
[q2]> >> 2002.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >London weighting?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Recruitment and retention points?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> None of that counts. Not all areas have that pay and not all schools award recruitment and[/q1]
[q1]> retention. The question was on the top pay a standard classroom teacher can make. Without[/q1]
[q1]> threshold or anything else, the top pay is £25,756 in September 2002.[/q1]

I don't have management points and haven't applied for threshold assessment, but I'm paid more
than £25,756.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Let's get real, eh?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 24 May 2002 21:23:52 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-mo.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <kg4teuk48kgdbj50n3u353rjo3a0m5f [email protected]>, *Ace*[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > None of that counts. Not all areas have that pay and not all schools award[/q2]
[q2]> >> recruitment and retention. The question was on the top pay a standard[/q2]
[q2]> >classroom[/q2]
[q2]> >> teacher can make. Without threshold or anything else, the top pay is[/q2]
[q2]> >£25,756 in[/q2]
[q2]> >> September 2002.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I don't have management points and haven't applied for threshold assessment, but I'm paid more[/q2]
[q2]> >than £25,756.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The base max pay is 27,756. Like it or not, that's what it is.[/q1]

Not in London it ain't.

[q1]> Whatever deal you have with your school is your business. Don't assume - it makes an...well, if[/q1]
[q1]> you don't know the phrase...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 24 May 2002 22:54:03 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-fl.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <n6fteus5kcgormplmsull72rq59e0bd [email protected]>, *Ace*[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >> The base max pay is 27,756. Like it or not, that's what it is.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Not in London it ain't.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Even in London. All else are "extras" - they may be an entitlement, but they are not spine[/q1]
[q1]> point pay.[/q1]

I suggest you look back in this thread at what you originally stated:

"They lied, again. Teachers are on a minimum of £25,746 per annum after 5 years of teaching - point
M6. (M probably for Management, as you'll have to manage the teaching of a load of assistants while

If you apply for and go through threshold, your pay will be £27,894. Still not £28,000 minimum.

It's just spin. If you don't get through threshold, then it's moot. If you don't apply, it's moot.
The max you can earn as a regular classroom teacher, without the stress of 8 hours of paperwork and
begging for more money, is £25,756 in September 2002."

Clearly that is not true for teachers in London, teachers who receive a R&R allowance or teachers in
special schools.

Perhaps you should try admitting your errors rather than try to twist the original question.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 25 May 2002 12:15:25 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-ms.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <9slueukb8bh7grben80c9j2m9mfatis [email protected]>, *Ace*[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >> Even in London. All else are "extras" - they may be an entitlement, but[/q2]
[q2]> >they[/q2]
[q2]> >> are not spine point pay.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I suggest you look back in this thread at what you originally stated:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >"They lied, again. Teachers are on a minimum of £25,746 per annum after 5 years of teaching -[/q2]
[q2]> >point M6. (M probably for Management, as you'll have to manage the teaching of a load of[/q2]
[q2]> >assistants while you do the paperwork and then take the fall for poor teaching later on).[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >If you apply for and go through threshold, your pay will be £27,894. Still not £28,000 minimum.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >It's just spin. If you don't get through threshold, then it's moot. If you don't apply, it's[/q2]
[q2]> >moot. The max you can earn as a regular classroom teacher, without the stress of 8 hours of[/q2]
[q2]> >paperwork and begging for more money, is £25,756 in September 2002."[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Clearly that is not true for teachers in London, teachers who receive a R&R allowance or teachers[/q2]
[q2]> >in special schools.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Perhaps you should try admitting your errors rather than try to twist the original question.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I suggest you look at the original question, which had to do with the most a teacher can make on[/q1]
[q1]> the spine points. My answer stands.[/q1]

Phil wrote:

"I've seen a Govt document that states classroom teaches will be on £28000 pa minimum after 5 years
teaching and also some gossip that the main scale changes. I'm on Point 9 and somebody told me I'll
be on something called M6 from September.Does that mean my pay will be heading north! Or is it more
hoops or just a re-announcement of old money?"

You replied:

"They lied, again. Teachers are on a minimum of £25,746 per annum after 5 years of teaching - point

begging for more money, is £25,756 in September 2002."

I correctly pointed out that what you wrote was not true for teachers who work in London or those
who receive a R&R allowance.

You then tried to worm out of admitting you were wrong by trying to redefine the question.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi Phil Wilson,

On Sun, 26 May 2002 09:33:53 +0000 (GMT), in uk.education.teachers Phil Wilson put fingers to
keyboard and tapped away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected]>

[q1]> I think Sandi HAS answered the question correctly -classroom teachers are not on a minimum of[/q1]
[q1]> £28000 as quoted in a national newspaper. It is simply those that can teach those that lie run the[/q1]
[q1]> country.[/q1]

Do you want to re-phase that?

After five years of teaching OUTSIDE LONDON teachers are not on a minimum of £28,000 as quoted in a
national newspaper.

Then we can draw a conclusion to Sandi's nit picky arguments.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Phil[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

*Ace*
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi SLieber24,

On 26 May 2002 18:57:16 GMT, in uk.education.teachers SLieber24 put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected] b-da.aol.com>

[q1]> In article <l142fu0cuso93sks8scj7tq7h7b79pf [email protected]>, *Ace*[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >> I think Sandi HAS answered the question correctly -classroom teachers are not on a minimum of[/q2]
[q2]> >> £28000 as quoted in a national newspaper. It is simply those that can teach those that lie run[/q2]
[q2]> >> the country.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Do you want to re-phase that?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Re-phrase, I think you mean?[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >After five years of teaching OUTSIDE LONDON teachers are not on a minimum of £28,000 as quoted in[/q2]
[q2]> >a national newspaper.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> No. Teachers within and in London fringe areas are still on a maximum of 25,746. All else are[/q1]
[q1]> extras - and not required for you to have. It can be taken away at any time, in fact. In fact, it[/q1]
[q1]> is - if you move outside of the bonus areas.[/q1]

The London Allowance must be paid. It makes up part of the basic pay for teachers within London.

I can partially understand you arguing that R&R is an extra, although not that people have to
beg for it.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Then we can draw a conclusion to Sandi's nit picky arguments.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> You don't know how.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

Stjohn
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
*Ace* wrote in message ...

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Do you want to re-phase that?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>After five years of teaching OUTSIDE LONDON teachers are not on a minimum of £28,000 as quoted in a[/q1]
[q1]>national newspaper.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I've just found an interesting teachers' pay calculator at the following address:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/paycalc

You will need to fill in some details (I chose the name Estelle Morris and the suggested school code
as 123/1234 and it worked fine). Anyway - try top of the scale classroom teacher!

Someone owes an unreserved apology to Sandi, I think.

Singe
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (17)
7.87%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (14)
6.48%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (45)
20.83%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (28)
12.96%
No, nothing has changed (72)
33.33%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (40)
18.52%

Watched Threads