The Student Room Group

Why is education so expensive?

When I went to uni, it cost £3.5k per year which tbh I thought was still quite expensive.. but now it’s like 9k minimum per year, even online uni is still bloody high in price. I am currently looking into doing a networking course provided by Cisco and just for the books its like £100 for two books alone.. no wonder people turn to crime.

I actually wanted to do uni again and if the prices had stayed at 3.5k I would have just saved up and gone back whilst working part-time or something, but at 9k per year there is no chance I could go back. When you consider that a lot of uni is actually self studying, you aren’t really even paying for the knowledge, you can pretty much learn anything online these days... you are paying for the certificate ultimately.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ThuggerThugger
When I went to uni, it cost £3.5k per year which tbh I thought was still quite expensive.. but now it’s like 9k minimum per year, even online uni is still bloody high in price. I am currently looking into doing a network course provided by Cisco and just for the books its like £100 for two books alone.. no wonder people turn to crime.

I actually wanted to do uni again and if the prices had stayed at 3.5k I would have just saved up and gone back whilst working part-time or something, but at 9k per year there is no chance I could go back. When you consider that a lot of uni is actually self studying, you aren’t really even paying for the knowledge, you can pretty much learn anything online these days... you are paying for the certificate ultimately.

When it was free and at £3.5K it was heavily subsided.

Additionally, anyone can access the loan and because its viewed as a grad-tax loads of students pile up on it every year, without thinking if it financially makes sense to take on the loan. This all means universities are incentivised to charge the full £9.25K, knowing every student will take the government loan.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
When I went to uni, it cost £3.5k per year which tbh I thought was still quite expensive.. but now it’s like 9k minimum per year, even online uni is still bloody high in price. I am currently looking into doing a networking course provided by Cisco and just for the books its like £100 for two books alone.. no wonder people turn to crime.

Your books are only £100 for two? My course is like £400 per, awfully expensive on top of rent and acc uni itself
(edited 3 years ago)
I wonder if you could collate all your lecture notes, lecture recording, courseworks etc to repackage and sell on to others
Reply 4
Really that's mad :eek:

What about engineering, dentistry, and optometry.
Reply 5
oh okay :cool:
Original post by steamed-hams
I wonder if you could collate all your lecture notes, lecture recording, courseworks etc to repackage and sell on to others

This would be wrong and I do not encourage this but to answer the question, yup pretty easily. Lets say someone wanted a degree in computer science, if they are given a list of things they need to study they could learn it all online for free then just submit coursework.
I first went to university when it was free!
But yes paying £9k now which works out around £450 per week for 20 weeks of teaching.
Which is a lot cheaper than any professional teaching, but those are 9/5. I have 15 contact hours so £30 per hour. Which is pretty good value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending