how do i get better in a level English literature?

Watch
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm currently in year 12 and in quarantine, so I figured this would be the best time to catch up on my studies and revision for the next academic year. Currently, I'm on a grade c/b however I want to get an A/A*. Any advice or tips on how I should revise and what I should do? Thanks
mintonl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ryukk)
I'm currently in year 12 and in quarantine, so I figured this would be the best time to catch up on my studies and revision for the next academic year. Currently, I'm on a grade c/b however I want to get an A/A*. Any advice or tips on how I should revise and what I should do? Thanks
Hi,
I'm in Year 12 too and currently hitting A/A* in English Lit (depends on which teacher is marking).

For me the most useful thing has been making mind maps organised by theme and character with the key quotes, context and other notes that I think I might find useful so that when I get an exam question on a specific character I already know all the key points that I want to make. Of course, there are a lot of characters and themes in the novels and plays as they can be quite complex but I just pick out the key ones because often two themes can be linked together, etc. I try not to spend too much time on them as it could easily become a task that takes hours so I make sure that I'm not spending ages looking through the text.

I know that a lot of people hate using mind maps, so you could also try making flashcards either in person or on Quizlet? I prefer virtual flashcards but it's really up to personal preference.

For in the exam/whilst writing your essays the main tip I've been given that has worked really well for me is to make sure you have a general line of argument/thesis throughout your essay which makes it sound more academic and shows that you've thought out what you're going to write about.

I hope that helps! Obviously I'm only in Year 12 so we'll see how well it goes next year but like I say, I've been predicted good grades and that's what I've been doing so hopefully that helps!
Anonymous36617
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ryukk)
Hi, I have completed the A Level English Literature course. The key is to be a perceptive and assured writer - read lots of scholar articles to develop perceptive points. Ensure your essay is structured and it supports your point - ensure you analyse language structures in depth. The way that you present your argument is immensely significant - A01, enhance your vocab to present points. Also a different argument is important - you could start of a paragraph with Conversely so that the different view is highlighted.
English is about hitting those A0s and having a good style of writing throughout the A level course i developed my way of writing essays which has made me soo passionate about English Lit as i am going to study English Literature and Law joint honours degree in September
I am also tutoring students for English Literature, for further information drop a pm.
ayumie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd recommend watching Eve Bennet on youtube, she got outrageous marks in her English Literature exams all way through. I believe something like 58/60 etc on her actual A-Level papers. She posts loads of advice and how to get good grades in Literature videos! I hope these help.

Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9IA3upRzo
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
it's important to develop a strong and consistent essay writing style in english literature - this is best done through lots of practice essays and feedback from your teacher. you'll likely have lots of free time now, so perhaps reread your texts.
mintonl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ayumie)
I'd recommend watching Eve Bennet on youtube,
Also Lydia Violeta, who I believe got an A or A* and has a video on how she revised for English Literature
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (0)
0%
Better than expected (3)
30%
Worse than expected (7)
70%

Watched Threads