Will you take a gap year if university is still online in September?

Watch
mma_jd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I'm due to start uni this September but I'm now seriously considering taking a gap year due to the whole corona virus situation. Actually, a second gap year - I'm already on a gap year now and was looking forward to starting uni this September, but I just won't be doing it if things like freshers week, moving into dorms, etc are all cancelled, because to be honest that's a huge part of university that I don't wanna miss out on. I'd rather wait until things are back to normal. Anyone else in the same position?
username5271994
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
So I'm due to start uni this September but I'm now seriously considering taking a gap year due to the whole corona virus situation. Actually, a second gap year - I'm already on a gap year now and was looking forward to starting uni this September, but I just won't be doing it if things like freshers week, moving into dorms, etc are all cancelled, because to be honest that's a huge part of university that I don't wanna miss out on. I'd rather wait until things are back to normal. Anyone else in the same position?
Well if you defer I’d say go for it but if you apply again for 2021 I think admissions will be a lot more competitive

Edit: To all the people saying that it’s selfish to defer, no one is gonna have your back when it comes to the real world so just decide based on your personal situation rather than considering ‘the year 12s’ - do what’s best for you, don’t suffer for a year out of pathetic selflessness. Year 12s would do the exact same if it was in reverse.
Last edited by username5271994; 8 months ago
mma_jd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kavala)
Well if you defer I’d say go for it but if you apply again for 2021 I think admissions will be a lot more competitive
Yeah that's why I'm hoping my current uni will let me defer again, I already took a gap year and was pretty lucky to even get into this uni given my grades to be honest. Could the uni just say "no, we're not letting you defer" and leave me with no uni to go to next year?
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Yeah that's why I'm hoping my current uni will let me defer again, I already took a gap year and was pretty lucky to even get into this uni given my grades to be honest. Could the uni just say "no, we're not letting you defer" and leave me with no uni to go to next year?
Yes they could depending on their deferral policy. Which uni is it?
mma_jd
Rep:
?
Yes they could depending on their deferral policy. Which uni is it?
East Anglia
archiemorris_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Considering doing this, but I’ve got into a university that is really competitive already and can’t be bothered with the stress of reapplying. Let me know if you follow through, I’m considering it too.
mma_jd
Rep:
?
(Original post by archiemorris_)
Considering doing this, but I’ve got into a university that is really competitive already and can’t be bothered with the stress of reapplying. Let me know if you follow through, I’m considering it too.
You could probably email them and ask to defer rather than reapplying? That's what I did for my first gap year and probably what I will do this year if the corona thing worsens.
Michael820
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I personally doubt uni would be online still in September, it's still 4 months away. Probably would have to wear face masks during lectures etc..

My fresher's week would likely be in the beginning of October, so shops would also probably be open by then.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Michael820)
I personally doubt uni would be online still in September, it's still 4 months away. Probably would have to wear face masks during lectures etc..

My fresher's week would likely be in the beginning of October, so shops would also probably be open by then.
I cared more about clubs being open than shops in my freshers week
mma_jd
Rep:
?
Exactly it would be so boring this year
Michael820
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Clubs will be open layer throughout the year. I'll be going to uni in London, I doubt that I'll never go clubbing in my year there.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Clubs will be open layer throughout the year. I'll be going to uni in London, I doubt that I'll never go clubbing in my year there.
So do I, but clubbing was a fundamental part of freshers so it won’t be the same if there are no clubs open in September/October
Michael820
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So do I, but clubbing was a fundamental part of freshers so it won’t be the same if there are no clubs open in September/October
It's literally a single week of your multiple years at uni. Clubbing for a week shouldn't be your deciding factor in deferring or not. Focus more on whether or not lectures will be in person or online. Universities can delay fresher's week and fresher's fair by around a month.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's literally a single week of your multiple years at uni. Clubbing for a week shouldn't be your deciding factor in deferring or not. Focus more on whether or not lectures will be in person or online. Universities can delay fresher's week and fresher's fair by around a month.
Okay 💋 I’m not deferring anyway since I’m going into second year at lse 💃🏼✌🏼
apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not being funny but I think it's really selfish if people start deferring entry - obviously I get that it could entirely wreck freshers and it's really unfair but it will make 2021 places extremely competitive which isn't fair on current year 12s. Everybody's life will be disrupted in some way and you've maybe even got it the worst out of everyone, but year 12s are missing out on months of vital work and will still be expected to take exams, the least we can do is give them the best chance to get into university
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Not being funny but I think it's really selfish if people start deferring entry - obviously I get that it could entirely wreck freshers and it's really unfair but it will make 2021 places extremely competitive which isn't fair on current year 12s. Everybody's life will be disrupted in some way and you've maybe even got it the worst out of everyone, but year 12s are missing out on months of vital work and will still be expected to take exams, the least we can do is give them the best chance to get into university
If I was in year 13 right now I’d take defer and take a gap year 🤷🏻*♂️ I’m not that selfless or naive lol, and this situation is to mostly protect the old who are as ignorant as they come.
Michael820
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also we could enter the worst recession in living memory. Those looking for jobs if they defer might not even get one at all. And even if they did, the pay might be even more shoddy.
Michael820
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Okay 💋 I’m not deferring anyway since I’m going into second year at lse 💃🏼✌🏼
Nice! Hope you enjoy your second year! Wish you the best! ☺️
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nice! Hope you enjoy your second year! Wish you the best! ☺️
Thanks, where are you going to uni? 😊
RememberMyLast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nobody owes you anything. Ignoring the people who are deferring because freshers may be cancelled, people need to decide if they will be getting value for money because at the end of the day they are the ones studying that degree and are who will end up with the debt. Maybe 2021 will be the year where universities are more selective in picking applicants for academic ability instead of just seeing how much money they can get because everyone and their dog wants to go to university these days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads