How are there more then 2 genders?

Watch
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This isn’t coming from a place oh hate, but rather confusion and a tad of ignorance. Can someone explain the concept of this whole more than 2 genders thing. I don’t get how you can’t be male or female. Like. How does one just not be anything? Or how can you choose to be male one day and female the next?

I’m genuinely curious and I seriously hope I don’t offend anyone by this.
bimbibap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If anyone can let me know too please thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlie101998)
This isn’t coming from a place oh hate, but rather confusion and a tad of ignorance. Can someone explain the concept of this whole more than 2 genders thing. I don’t get how you can’t be male or female. Like. How does one just not be anything? Or how can you choose to be male one day and female the next?

I’m genuinely curious and I seriously hope I don’t offend anyone by this
Not a persons sexuality is two people so we can persuade them or act accordingly what they show when we look at them becocouse we have nothing to do with them being judged by them
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

..... because gender in this context is a social construct. Very little of what society considers as 'man' and 'woman' is actually set by physical biology, yet despite decades of supposed liberation our world is still riven by stereotypes of appearance and behaviour and even legal boundaries imposed by physical assessment at birth. What if the imposed pigeonhole doesn't fit? Whilst some might argue that the labelling of gender should be completely overruled, the reality is that within our society these frameworks exist, and that within that system the available liberation is to define and claim your own space within them.
Last edited by Dee-Emma; 1 year ago
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Biologically speaking there are three sexes- Male, female and intersex.
Gender is a social construct, not always linking to biology alone.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
Biologically speaking there are three sexes- Male, female and intersex.
Gender is a social construct, not always linking to biology alone.
Okay, slowly getting it. First, what is intersex? Secondly, What else does gender link to? I thought the whole purpose of gender was to differentiate people allowing society to cater to their needs better.

(Original post by Dee-Emma)
..... because gender in this context is a social construct. Very little of what society considers as 'man' and 'woman' is actually set by physical biology, yet despite decades of supposed liberation our world is still riven by stereotypes of appearance and behaviour and even legal boundaries imposed by physical assessment at birth. What if the imposed pigeonhole doesn't fit? Whilst some might argue that the labelling of gender should be completely overruled, the reality is that within our society these frameworks exist, and that within that system the available liberation is to define and claim your own space within them.
This, and the other post, doesn't really explain why people are still able to switch between being male one day and female the other. Whats the point of just deciding not to be one or the other? How does this liberate you?

I honestly dont mean to sound like im judging you , I'm just not understanding the concept at all.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Persons are not fixed beings with fixed natures. If we want to understand persons, we must look at them as individuals who develop over time as products of complex relations between their biology and their cultures."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ly-constructed
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This, and the other post, doesn't really explain why people are still able to switch between being male one day and female the other. Whats the point of just deciding not to be one or the other? How does this liberate you?
Because they can. That's the point of liberty. The question is why not?
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
"There is a difference between “sex” and “gender.” Sex is “biological” while gender is “psychological,” “social,” or “cultural.” A person’s gender can be different from a person’s sex. Gender is thus “socially constructed” in the sense that, unlike biological sex, gender is a product of society. If society determines what is masculine or feminine, then society can change what is considered masculine, feminine, or anything in between. No one needs to be locked into fixed gender categories. Any individual is free to identify their gender as they see fit." https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ly-constructed

Okay. I'm slowly starting to get it, and theoretically this makes perfect sense, but, our society has so closely intertwined these two things that surely it would be detramental to change your identity on the fly. I dont mean to sound rude but this seems to be another one of those things coming from an overly sensitive society in which they are allowed to be anything they choose, and sometimes they choose these alternatives just because they go against the social norm.
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, slowly getting it. First, what is intersex? Secondly, What else does gender link to? I thought the whole purpose of gender was to differentiate people allowing society to cater to their needs better.

I honestly dont mean to sound like im judging you , I'm just not understanding the concept at all.
Liberation is the opportunity of being to do what feels right for the individual. Just because it doesn't fit your world view or rationality doesn't mean it's not valid. Wake up everyday and find you fit your assigned gender pigeonhole - great, enjoy that! But you could embrace the though that not everyone's experience fits that. That's all, that's the point.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Liberation is the opportunity of being to do what feels right for the individual. Just because it doesn't fit your world view or rationality doesn't mean it's not valid. Wake up everyday and find you fit your assigned gender pigeonhole - great, enjoy that! But you could embrace the though that not everyone's experience fits that. That's all, that's the point.
Well, thats what I'm trying to do. It's just that I'm finding it hard to understand.
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, thats what I'm trying to do. It's just that I'm finding it hard to understand.
A simple analogy. You could be happy with having exactly the same food everyday, a menu assigned to you at birth by some arbitrary decision. But what if that didn't suit you, that you saw there were other options in the world that you might prefer. Should you be precluded from experiencing other available choices? Should you have to switch to another menu and remain exclusively on that. Or take each day as it happens and see what suits you best at the time. I think it's surprising that more people don't retain that flexibility and that so many of us remain fixed in a single gender expression.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
A simple analogy. You could be happy with having exactly the same food everyday, a menu assigned to you at birth by some arbitrary decision. But what if that didn't suit you, that you saw there were other options in the world that you might prefer. Should you be precluded from experiencing other available choices? Should you have to switch to another menu and remain exclusively on that. Or take each day as it happens and see what suits you best at the time. I think it's surprising that more people don't retain that flexibility and that so many of us remain fixed in a single gender expression.
Okay, I'm starting to understand now I think. It's just because you can. It's not like transexuals where its a deep biological thing that makes them realise they belong in the opposite body
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, I'm starting to understand now I think. It's just because you can. It's not like transexuals where its a deep biological thing that makes them realise they belong in the opposite body
Trying to separate related issues by assigning motives is tricky. How deep something is and whether it's biological or psychological or whatever doesn't really work here. The dysphoria that makes some seek changes to their bodies to make them better fit their gender identity is diagnosed within our medical system by psychological, not biological assessment. Ultimately, within the range of gender expression, all that can really be said is that some people seek to challenge their birth-assigned gender. For some its a binary switch, for others its more flexible. Some may find a physical bodily change aids that process and facilities a functional life.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Trying to separate related issues by assigning motives is tricky. How deep something is and whether it's biological or psychological or whatever doesn't really work here. The dysphoria that makes some seek changes to their bodies to make them better fit their gender identity is diagnosed within our medical system by psychological, not biological assessment. Ultimately, within the range of gender expression, all that can really be said is that some people seek to challenge their birth-assigned gender. For some its a binary switch, for others its more flexible. Some may find a physical bodily change aids that process and facilities a functional life.
Alright, I'm getting it. Thats not to say i fully agree with it entirely, but I get why it's done. Thankyou
ulu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

maybe you were born to be an attack helicopter that is my gender
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (15)
9.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.92%

Watched Threads