The Student Room Group

International fees

I've accepted an unconditional from Leeds uni but I've been categorized as an international student. I'm British and am dreading the 19k, is there any chance I can fight for local fee? How do I ask the uni about it? I've also been told once you enrol as an international thats it for the next 3 years, is that true?
Original post by mnl01
I've accepted an unconditional from Leeds uni but I've been categorized as an international student. I'm British and am dreading the 19k, is there any chance I can fight for local fee? How do I ask the uni about it? I've also been told once you enrol as an international thats it for the next 3 years, is that true?

You can certainly try. Think about what you will do if they say no. Will you still go? Have all the unis you have applied to categorized you as international?
You should ask them for a Fee Status Questionnaire. I am also British and was initially catagorized as International at the unis I applied to but managed to change it to Home at ALL the unis after filling out these forms and proving how strong my connection to the UK is etc... Definitely worth a shot!
Reply 3
Original post by abigail468
You should ask them for a Fee Status Questionnaire. I am also British and was initially catagorized as International at the unis I applied to but managed to change it to Home at ALL the unis after filling out these forms and proving how strong my connection to the UK is etc... Definitely worth a shot!

Sorry if this is a bother, but what sort of advice do you have as an argument to be categorized as local? I've filled a few forms out but they never got back to me, I'm just wondering what kind of evidence etc I can use to fight for home status? Thanks!
Original post by mnl01
Sorry if this is a bother, but what sort of advice do you have as an argument to be categorized as local? I've filled a few forms out but they never got back to me, I'm just wondering what kind of evidence etc I can use to fight for home status? Thanks!

Basically you have to prove your connection to the UK.
Stuff that I put in the form included:
- i was born in the UK and hold a British passport, as well as my parents and grandparents
- i moved away when I was a child and didn't have a say in the matter and returned first chance i got
- we frequently visited family in the uk
- i worked in the uk for a year and paid taxes
All this sort of stuff and really emphasise how strong your connection to the uk is. If your parents pay taxes there, if you have family that lives there, if you have worked there etc... (Obviously only write it if it's true as you will have to prove it! I had to provide coppies of every page of my passports and flight details for the past ten years as well as other stuff!)
Hope this was helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by abigail468
Basically you have to prove your connection to the UK.
Stuff that I put in the form included:
- i was born in the UK and hold a British passport, as well as my parents and grandparents
- i moved away when I was a child and didn't have a say in the matter and returned first chance i got
- we frequently visited family in the uk
- i worked in the uk for a year and paid taxes
All this sort of stuff and really emphasise how strong your connection to the uk is. If your parents pay taxes there, if you have family that lives there, if you have worked there etc... (Obviously only write it if it's true as you will have to prove it! I had to provide coppies of every page of my passports and flight details for the past ten years as well as other stuff!)
Hope this was helpful!

That's super helpful and kind of you! Thank you, I'll make sure to list all of that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending