The Student Room Group

Is it bad to spend entire days doing nothing....

Apart from watching TV, serfing the net, having sleep breaks and playing video games?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam Durant 845
Apart from watching TV, serfing the net, having sleep breaks and playing video games?

Yes. Period.
There are a range of real life activities humans can do alone including, cooking, art, origami, some card games, learning, volunteering to walk peoples dogs (if your not at high risk), distance learning, getting fit, try learning how to do henna drawings- that skill would attract ladies.... You get the idea.
(edited 3 years ago)
In times of locldown with restricted activities and events outdoor I think that it is an adequate way to spend time. Otherwise it is a waste. And even in lockdown exists so many things you can do but gaming. You can play games an entire day now and then, but everyday? do what you like. It is your precious life time.
Original post by glassalice
Yes. Period.
There are a range of real life activities humans can do alone including, cooking, art, origami, some card games, learning, volunteering to walk peoples dogs (if your not at high risk), distance learning, getting fit, try learning how to do henna drawings- that skill would attract ladies.... You get the idea.

Ok, but don't bring up creepy stuff about attracting ladies.
Original post by Kallisto
In times of locldown with restricted activities and events outdoor I think that it is an adequate way to spend time. Otherwise it is a waste. And even in lockdown exists so many things you can do but gaming. You can play games an entire day now and then, but everyday? do what you like. It is your precious life time.

I do other things like reading, writing and coin collecting as well. Just not as often.
It's definitely unproductive
Ok, but don't bring up creepy stuff about attracting ladies.

??? It would be a potential long term benefit of learning to do henna.
Gamers aren't really my type.
Reply 7
If you spend everyday doing those things your mental health might take a hit but we're in extraordinary times and there are limited things to do. I also think it's important to say that even during normal day-to-day life it's totally ok to have days like this and not feel guilty about it. You deserve a break and to relax and if that's how you choose to do it then fine! What's most important right now is your health (including mental health), so if you can intersperse it with some meaningful activity then great, if not and you're feeling fine,, don't worry.
(edited 3 years ago)
??? It would be a potential long term benefit of learning to do henna.
Gamers aren't really my type.

Ummmmm........ ok. This isn't a dating site as far as I know.
Ummmmm........ ok. This isn't a dating site as far as I know.

No, I didn't think it was either TBH. Took me a little while to work it out though.
No, I didn't think it was either TBH. Took me a little while to work it out though.

Work what out?
Work what out?

FML
FML

I mean not sure what you are on about?
glassalice is actually an alien lizard person doing a really bad job trying to emulate 'human' conversation.

And to answer your question: no. Government is literally paying you to stay in and play games and will punish you for doing otherwise. Boris and any Conservative won't want that to go on very long so enjoy your holiday while you can.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
I mean all I do is school work, walk my cat, and face time people.
Prob be more healthy to go for a walk, work out, learn Spanish, or something. Meh.
Honestly it's fine

We're in a lockdown for God's sake, of course people are going to be at home bored

I would try to do at least one productive thing every day though, like cleaning or some work. That way you haven't wasted any time.

Free time is also a blessing, so make the most of it!
If you're doing it because that's what you enjoy doing and you don't have any school work or any other commitments to be getting on with, I'd say it's probably fine.
If you find yourself unable to focus on work, do anything else, are struggling to follow through on any commitments, and are sleeping excessively, I think it may be an issue.
Yes. Period.

Wait a minute, how is sodding origami, playing cards or henna more "real life" or productive than video games or TV?
(edited 3 years ago)

if ure doing this all the time then yes but if it's just sometimes then no it's fine
sometimes we need to do things that make us happy & prioritise our mental health
Original post by ozzyoscy
Wait a minute, how is sodding origami, playing cards or henna more "real life" or productive than video games or TV?

Don't dis Origami! It's an ancient and (often a) mathematical art, that actually requires the use of your brain- it develops spacial awareness and fine motor skills.
If you've never done it properly, you wouldn't know.
Henna is a traditional Indian art form. Which again develops the above. It's not easy. You can even make money out of it if you become good enough.
Card game Meh... A bit of fun.

I am genuinely concerned about your mental wellbeing if you think I am a
alien lizard trying to emulate human conversation

hopefully it's just a case of too many late nights.
Inaddition, if you are trying insinuate something else, I think you need to educate yourself (or at least try).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest