The knock-on effects of lockdown - Mental Health

Watch
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
https://thetab.com/uk/2020/05/04/a-l...ockdown-154848 - Warning: discusses suicide

The above will sadly not be the only case of this occuring due to lockdown. We need to remember that some people will be unable to cope with both lockdown and then the economic effects afterwards. There needs to be a balance between keeping people safe from the virus and making sure we don't make the mental health crisis even worse.
Pidove
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Imagine struggling with the lockdown lol.
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Pidove)
Imagine struggling with the lockdown lol.
People do struggle. You might not, but you should still respect them.
Pidove
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
People do struggle. You might not, but you should still respect them.
If they are struggling it is not then the lockdown that's inherently a bad thing, it is their mental problems.
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If they are struggling it is not then the lockdown that's inherently a bad thing, it is their mental problems.
That’s quite an unfair comment, it will definitely cause a decline in people’s mental health
Pidove
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
That’s quite an unfair comment, it will definitely cause a decline in people’s mental health
I never said it wouldn't?
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I never said it wouldn't?
You just said it above!
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think it will be years until we fully understand what the lockdown is doing to people's mental health.

But I would caution against thinking its all bad. Yes the news focuses on the bad things, but I expect there to be positives as well that shouldn't be forgotten.

People with social anxiety or other issues may find this time actually reduces their problems temporarily
People with extreme stress in their work might find a bit of respite..
Family related tensions/problems, while many will get worse (see the problems with domestic abuse currently) other families are finding this time is bringing them together, perhaps giving more support for those who need it.
etc.

Its also worth noting that the alternative to a lockdown isn't 'normal life' its the collapse of the NHS and a whole lot of death/illness.. While the lockdown does give issues for people with mental health problems, the alternative is probably worse.

For those who are struggling though, I do really sympathise, especially with the fact that you can have a problem, but thanks to the lockdown be effectivly trapped and unable to do anything to help it.
Pidove
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
You just said it above!
No, I didn't. I just said it doesn't make the lockdown inherently a bad thing if people are struggling mentally .That's different, read.
Curious_Randomer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm finding it tough with my therapy being put on hold and being unable to have my meds reviewed by my psych. I have bipolar disorder and I'm in a depressive episode without the support I would normally have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads