Are summer jobs hard to get?

Watch
jdsgirlfriend28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If I live away from home it means I will have to leave my job at tesco. I will therefore need to find a job for summer, which is hard as my town is small.
What do students usually do?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
from experience, most friends worked in the SU bars and shops etc. PT during their degree. Some took up A-level and GCSE tuition, some nannying/babysitting over the summer. I did a couple of psychology research interns through my then current uni and another London based one.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jdsgirlfriend28)
If I live away from home it means I will have to leave my job at tesco. I will therefore need to find a job for summer, which is hard as my town is small.
Hey jdsgirlfriend28!

Could you stay wherever your university is over summer? If its a bigger area the chances of getting a job will be bigger, also, if you can get a job over the year you won't have to look for one over summer.

I can't imagine going back to my hometown over summer so each summer I have worked abroad which is always an option you could look into if you're open to the idea?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jdsgirlfriend28)
Hi jdsgirlfriend28

In the summer at Greenwich students who are Student Ambassadors may get to have a summer job working in an office helping with the clearing process. You do have to apply for it and go through an interview process but generally quite a lot of people get the opportunity.

Basically Student Ambassadors are students who get to do paid flexible casual work during the year. (you do have to apply for this but loads of students get accepted every year)

Last summer I was in an office helping out with clearing from around July-late September and surprisingly it was one of the best summers ever

Hope this helps

Devina
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofGreenwich)
Hi jdsgirlfriend28

In the summer at Greenwich students who are Student Ambassadors may get to have a summer job working in an office helping with the clearing process. You do have to apply for it and go through an interview process but generally quite a lot of people get the opportunity.

Basically Student Ambassadors are students who get to do paid flexible casual work during the year. (you do have to apply for this but loads of students get accepted every year)

Last summer I was in an office helping out with clearing from around July-late September and surprisingly it was one of the best summers ever

Hope this helps

Devina
Hi jdsgirlfriend28

I go to uni in the UK but I'm from Belgium, so I have similar issues when it comes to summer. I've often elected to stay in the UK over the summer and only go home for a little bit, so that I could work here.

Similar to what other people said, here are a few options:

Work as a student ambassador, we get to work residentials, open days, and clearing throughout the summer, that involves staying wherever you are studying though.

Have you looked into work summer camps etc? I worked on NCS two summers in a row, accommodation is provided for most of the programme, and I stayed with friends for the bits that aren't residential. It looks ace on your CV and it's a really good way to spend your summer (I got to do canoeing, high ropes, orientation courses etc)!
I found a lot of summer camp jobs on here:
https://www.e4s.co.uk/docs/summer-jobs.htm
There's also things like Camp America if you fancy a big experience, not sure what the money is like though.

The main issue this year will be coronavirus, I can see a lot of these things not going ahead. Farm jobs (fruit-picking and the likes) could be an option too, I looked into those before and farms won't be put on hold!

Hope this helps
Emi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads