The Student Room Group

A Level choices...

Which A Levels would be good for preparing to do a law degree? I definitely want to take A Level English literature and history, but I need to pick a third. I’m considering psychology, sociology, business or geography. Which subject would prepare me more for law? I’m also going to do an EPQ.
Original post by erin2004
Which A Levels would be good for preparing to do a law degree? I definitely want to take A Level English literature and history, but I need to pick a third. I’m considering psychology, sociology, business or geography. Which subject would prepare me more for law? I’m also going to do an EPQ.

Any of those could be good! Maybe depends what area of law you think you might be interested in. If it's commercial law, business would definitely be useful. Otherwise I would go with the subject you enjoy the most and are the most excited about.
To be honest , law is very universal in that any a levels will help with law. so don’t worry if you about finding the perfect a level course to go with law ! However from what I heard, sociology a level has a lot of law related content e.g crime and deviance. It is also a essay based subject so will help you prepare writing more longer essays.

However, business is also a great option especially if you want to go into commercial law.

I currently do psychology a level and there are aspects which do help for example we learn about eye witness testimony and the inaccuracies of it.
You need to get good A level grades to get an offer from a law degree first. I suggest taking the ones you enjoy because you can motivate yourself to get those grades as the A level requirements are fairly high. You can prepare for law more efficiently in our time and it's more personalised to you, which will help in the future
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
You need to get good A level grades to get an offer from a law degree first. I suggest taking the ones you enjoy because you can motivate yourself to get those grades as the A level requirements are fairly high. You can prepare for law more efficiently in our time and it's more personalised to you, which will help in the future

I’m not sure what to do because at GCSE I was good at geography and business, but I’m not sure if I would really enjoy it. However, psychology or sociology would interest me more but I haven’t done it before.
Original post by erin2004
I’m not sure what to do because at GCSE I was good at geography and business, but I’m not sure if I would really enjoy it. However, psychology or sociology would interest me more but I haven’t done it before.

You could always try it out and drop it if you didnt like it. You could use this time to do some wider reading in psychology and sociology to see if you enjoy it

Quick Reply

Latest