47.06%
No (9)
52.94%
GTE Guy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hopefully it’s looking better and it is basically getting eased off now with places reopening. So I think hopefully more and more restrictions will hopefully get lifted in the next coming weeks or even days. Surely it can’t be any longer than a month because people are suffering.
Last edited by GTE Guy; 6 months ago
Lemonsandlemons
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by GTE Guy)
Hopefully it’s looking better and it is basically getting eased off now with places reopening. So I think hopefully more and more restrictions will hopefully get lifted in the next coming weeks or even days.
Scientists seem to suggest that social distancing (which is lockdown in a sense) might last up until a year.
Kirkhamm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It'll be lifted in the upcoming week, but we'll probably have another lockdown because there will be another wave of infections.

And even though we won't be in lockdown, we'll still have to social distance, and restaurants & gyms etc. won't open.
GTE Guy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemonsandlemons)
Scientists seem to suggest that social distancing (which is lockdown in a sense) might last up until a year.
Doesn’t mean they are right
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hopefully it’s looking better and it is basically getting eased off now with places reopening. So I think hopefully more and more restrictions will hopefully get lifted in the next coming weeks or even days. Surely it can’t be any longer than a month because people are suffering.
If there's any change, it's only going to be temporary.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Doesn’t mean they are right
...but I think we'll trust them more than some randomer online.
GTE Guy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
...but I think we'll trust them more than some randomer online.
But other places are easing it and we are basically easing it now so yeah
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For now.

Every virus that has swept through like this before has had a far more destructive second wave, partly through complacency.

That's what we're in store for if there's no treatment or vaccination.

And when that hits, we'll be in for a longer and more thorough lockdown.
GTE Guy
Rep:
?
For now.

Every virus that has swept through like this before has had a far more destructive second wave, partly through complacency.

That's what we're in store for if there's no treatment or vaccination.

And when that hits, we'll be in for a longer and more thorough lockdown.
Pretty scary then, hopefully it will be fine
Jamie_1712
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If they actually looked at the latest statistics they’d see that this is a virus with a death rate of about 0.5%, probably much less and the chance of a healthy individual under 45 dying is as close to 0 as can be. I think that with the evidence from Sweden (having a decrease in number of daily cases and deaths despite no lockdown) and the new antibody studies clearly suggests that life should go back to normal for those under who are healthy. Everyone is still so engrossed in this initial fear that was created by the 4-7% predicted death rate that I don’t think lockdown will be lifted for anyone for at least another month. We were right to take precautions but now we know the facts the lockdown should be lifted from this week. I have doubts though because the government still seems to be as concerned as before, despite the overwhelming new evidence (which for some reason hasn’t been on the news).
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jamie_1712)
If they actually looked at the latest statistics they’d see that this is a virus with a death rate of about 0.5%, probably much less and the chance of a healthy individual under 45 dying is as close to 0 as can be. I think that with the evidence from Sweden (having a decrease in number of daily cases and deaths despite no lockdown) and the new antibody studies clearly suggests that life should go back to normal for those under who are healthy. Everyone is still so engrossed in this initial fear that was created by the 4-7% predicted death rate that I don’t think lockdown will be lifted for anyone for at least another month. We were right to take precautions but now we know the facts the lockdown should be lifted from this week. I have doubts though because the government still seems to be as concerned as before, despite the overwhelming new evidence (which for some reason hasn’t been on the news).
That ignores the reality of how people suffer from the illness, and the logic behind the lockdown.

The lockdown measures were never meant to stop death, or even to stop people getting ill. Sure, they'd help, but the real aim was to stop the cases - whether they were young people who'd recover or older people who are more likely to die - from overwhelming the health services.

If you ignore that aim then you'll fundamentally get the whole thing wrong.

So it's unsurprising that you've got the whole thing wrong.
EdFritz13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Here’s the issue I see:
There’s statistics to show that there’s been an increase in the number of people going out and having had “enough” of staying indoors and everything. This is before the restrictions are eased.
Now at this point it’s hard to say that even a quarter of the U.K. population has been infected.
If we ease the lockdown, people will not social distance properly, they will be very much going to crowded places and pubs and restaurants and supermarkets and queues where everyone is compact together. All it takes is a couple people to pass it on again and it will be a lot worse than the first time, people will battle to not be quarantined again and they will just keep passing it on and on so in my opinion the real peak hasn’t yet reached.
However I do hope that this track and trace business and the new tracking app and with a bit of common sense from people well battle a second wave better and well be more ready for it
All I say is there is no rush to lift restrictions
GTE Guy
Rep:
?
Yep it’s looking positive
Jamie_1712
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That ignores the reality of how people suffer from the illness, and the logic behind the lockdown.

The lockdown measures were never meant to stop death, or even to stop people getting ill. Sure, they'd help, but the real aim was to stop the cases - whether they were young people who'd recover or older people who are more likely to die - from overwhelming the health services.

If you ignore that aim then you'll fundamentally get the whole thing wrong.

So it's unsurprising that you've got the whole thing wrong.
Hmmm you’ve lost me. The aim is to stop the NHS being overrun, and it’s barely been at 70% capacity at the worst time. The aim is not to stop the cases as that’s impossible now, and it’s shown as people are still getting infected in their thousands and flights are coming in with no screening whatsoever. Spread of new cases is inevitable. If we allow everyone under 45 to go out and do their thing, and get infected at most 0.05% of them will need hospital treatment which is about 20,000 people at most. This is easily handleable for the NHS, especially considering all these people won’t be infected at the same time. So by doing this we reach herd immunity faster, ultimately saving more of those vulnerable people in the long run.

So no I don’t have the aim wrong, you do.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If we allow everyone under 45 to go out and do their thing, and get infected at most 0.05% of them will need hospital treatment which is about 20,000 people at most
That's simply not true.

And we can't delineate a lockdown on that basis either
Jamie_1712
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's simply not true.

And we can't delineate a lockdown on that basis either
It is. Have you even looked at any significant antibody studies? Why can we not “delineate a lockdown on that basis”?

You can’t just deny statistics I’m afraid.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It is. Have you even looked at any significant antibody studies? Why can we not “delineate a lockdown on that basis”?

You can’t just deny statistics I’m afraid.
You can make statistics say whatever you want them to.

The reality is different.

Second waves of viruses like this are always the most destructive. Opening up early is allowing complacency and will only make things worse.
Jamie_1712
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can make statistics say whatever you want them to.

The reality is different.

Second waves of viruses like this are always the most destructive. Opening up early is allowing complacency and will only make things worse.
What absolute rubbish. Statistics say the virus has a death rate of 0.5% or less. That’s not making statistics say anything. Also the chance of a healthy person under 45 dying is near enough 0%. That’s not making the statistics say anything, that’s the statistics saying something.

You’ve not listened to a thing I’ve said or addressed any of my points. You’ve also not explained why you think there will be a 2nd wave much worse, especially when Sweden have seen a dip despite no lockdown. I don’t think allowing everyone under 45 who is healthy to go back to normal (only isolating when sick) will have any negative effects whatsoever.
Lemonsandlemons
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
"other places" have more competent governments and leaders.
GTE Guy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemonsandlemons)
"other places" have more competent governments and leaders.
Nah this is going to be gone soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed