The Student Room Group

Chances of good university?

Hello! Today I got my results for my AS year and I've been wondering what kind of universities (to study physics) would consider me with the results I have so far. I'm not entirely clear on what universities hold as most important, GCSEs or AS grades or predicted A levels, so I'll just say all of them. :smile:

GCSE: AAABBBBBBBC (not good considering my school :frown:, B's in subjects related to physics and my A levels)

AS Grades: A in maths, B in physics, B in biology, C in general studies and D in Product design.

Predicted A levels: AAA (in Physics, Maths and Biology)

So my question is, with these statistics, with a good personal statement/school references, what kind of universities (entry requirement grades-wise) could I stand a chance at getting an offer from? I want to go to university in London but my problem is that there are no unis that I know of there that do physics and want less than BBB. I don't doubt that I could get this, it's just the fact that I might not get an offer in the first place and be able to prove myself.

Also what other things could I do to enhance my application?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
You want to do a Physics degree? Getting a B at AS probably won't look that good. All of the best universities will be attracting students getting an A from the start and better GCSE grades. What would you consider a good university?
Reply 2
Yes, or something similar like astrophysics, or physics with astronomy, but I figure the grades are similar for different physics degrees that are very similar. :smile:
Reply 3
Why the helllllllll are you looking for a uni that offers LESS than BBB when you are predicted AAA?! That is crazy. Apply to a uni asking for at least AAB for your firm! and ABB or so for your insurance... Of course you will get an offer, be optimistic. Your GCSEs are fine, perhaps not Oxbridge material but still great results!

EDIT: btw, I got BBBC in my AS results before I did resits and got an offer for ABB. Aim higher :wink:
Reply 4
I updated my first post after I read yours more thoroughly. >_>
Reply 5
A in maths, B in physics, B in biology

you will definatly get into a good uni in london, an A in maths is like woahhhh.
you look like a sound candidate.
Reply 6
thigns that could enhance your application is some a few extra curricular activities e.g. science competition, duke of edinborough,
or books youve read about physics
Reply 7
Hmm, I feel a bit better now I suppose, it's just my teachers keep giving me all contradictory views about how GCSEs are hugely important to everything, but they don't really matter, it's all about your predicted grades, but then they go and give everyone who bothers trying AAA as their predicted grades, and it's all about AS grades, but universities don't see them, but everything and nothing matters. It's all so jolly confusing :P

I just don't want to apply to 5 universities asking for between AAA and BBB and end up with 5 rejections I suppose. Is it not dangerous not applying for a lower grade one as well? (As I said though, there on none in the area I want to go to uni in)?

Also, what kind of work experience is relevant to a physics course?

Thanks everyone so far :biggrin:

Edit: And I'm in a fair few clubs and read A LOT of physics books :smile:
Reply 8
Awesomnia
Also, what kind of work experience is relevant to a physics course?

Work experience is far from essential for physics. Any work in a research facility or laboratory would be excellent.
Reply 9
Cool, I just wanted to make sure I could at least get to interview with an university and not just rejected because of my GCSEs straight away :smile: Well, I'll just work my socks off and do lots of extra physics olympiads and things and blaze up the entire field of physics over the next few months.

THANKS EVERYONE :biggrin:
Mate, how did u get ABBCD and then predicted AAA prediction?:smile:
You have 5 choices. Some people just dismiss Oxbridge without realising they have a slight possibility. If you're predicted AAA just have a go with the best and you might even get in.
Reply 12
Mohsin_Pak786
Mate, how did u get ABBCD and then predicted AAA prediction?:smile:

Well the subjects I'm taking next year were ABB and very only 1 exam in each brought it down, so I retake them and BAM, on track for AAA :P

Also the C was in general studies so it's not really 5 choices..? Don't most universities not care about it whatsoever?

And Oxbridge people always need 4 A*s or more usually, and I have none, and only a few A's. :P
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. :biggrin:
You could get into Oxbridge, as they will consider you a "late developer". Oxbridge, as far as I have heard, like "late developers"!

Latest