The Student Room Group

How much of student (maintenance) loan to take?

Hi guys. Question about how much of the maintenance loan I should take...
Is it worth taking the highest loan that I can even if I don't need all of the money (at least currently)? I could, for example, save the extra money I don't use to spend after university later (renting a flat etc).

According to what I predict I'm going to earn in the future, I've worked out that if I apply for the amount of loan I need AND if I apply for the highest possible loan, I'll still over 30 years have paid the same amount of money towards it (Rate 2 from wages) AND would still be unable to pay off the entire loan after 30 years (so it gets wiped). Yet, if I applied for the highest loan I'd end up with more money considering the high debt it brings is wiped after 30 years.

If I do take the higher loan then I end up with around £7,500 over the 3 years more in money though with nearly double the debt (though this gets wiped anyway after 30 years, and again, the amount I pay out of wages towards the debt is the same either way). Is the risk/reward worth it?

Also, is there a risk of the '30 years and loan is wiped' being changed at some point in the 30 years (or any other changes)?

There is, of course, no guarantee that if I go for the higher loan, there will be an excess for all 3 years (for example, if my Dad stops contributing).

Interesting to see what others in this situation did/would do!
Always go for the highest possible loan, you’re going to need it
Anyone have anything to add?
I don't have too long until I need to send off the form with the amount I'm applying for so it would be great to hear more opinions from others if possible.
You’re lucky, my loan doesn’t even cover the cheapest accommodation at my uni and my parents don’t want to help me :/
Original post by Academicbee123
You’re lucky, my loan doesn’t even cover the cheapest accommodation at my uni and my parents don’t want to help me :/

I am indeed - at least for the first year as my Dad may not want to continue after that in which case I'd be £30ish per week short.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending