The Student Room Group

Is it worth drinking alcohol at a young age?

In your opinion, do the benefits of drinking at a young age (partying, meeting new people, gaining more friends, maybe a few more relationships etc.) outweigh the costs/risks of drinking (health issues etc.)?
Reply 1
You can drink alcohol without it necessarily being a danger to your health. Plus none of the activities you list necessitate having alcohol. How often do you anticipate this happening?
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
You can drink alcohol without it necessarily being a danger to your health. Plus none of the activities you list necessitate having alcohol. How often do you anticipate this happening?

This ^ Just drink in moderation and not every night, alternate between alcohol and soft drinks if you do partake. Take it from someone with bitter experience, do not go silly on alcohol - your life will become horrific
Reply 3
Original post by Tw1x
This ^ Just drink in moderation and not every night, alternate between alcohol and soft drinks if you do partake. Take it from someone with bitter experience, do not go silly on alcohol - your life will become horrific

Will this really mean alcohol doesn't pose the health risks that are usually attributed to it?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Will this really mean alcohol doesn't pose the health risks that are usually attributed to it?

Of course alcohol poses risks, most things in life do but just drink in moderation if you feel the need to. Just keep hydrated, eat before you go out and keep your bearings about you
Depends on the age of the individual (and how well their brain is developed). Also remember alcohol can disrupt your inhibitions and make you do things you will regret such as take drugs or have unprotected sex. I think a couple of beers is fine and won’t damage your health that much unless you’re doing it every day
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

The maximum recommended amount for low risk to health is 14 units a week. Units of alcohol are given by percentage * volume, so a shot of whisky is 40% * 0.025 = 1 unit.
Doesn't mean you'll be totally fine if you have 14 shots at once, though.
Reply 7
Yes drinking is fun. I like to drink loads and make friends.
As long as you don't go overboard and are sensible then I don't see the problem, it can often be beneficial for 16/17 year olds to have a few alcopops or ciders socially so they don't reach 18 and suddenly go crazy with drink. It's different if it's constant binge drinking or younger than about 16 though. I'd never encourage my child to drink but I'm also not stupid enough to think that it won't happen until they're 18.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending