Why does my mind go blank when I have to write. GCSE English language?(exams)

Watch
KILLME88832740
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Every time I try to think of something nothing comes up and I start to feel extremely,DUMB AND END UP THROWING A TANTRUM BECAUSE I FEEL STUPID, IF MAJORITY OF PEOPLE CAN DO WHY CANT I??!!!!!! I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ONE IDEA!!!!! THE THOUGHT OF BEING THE ONLY KILLS ME. I WAS DOING QUESTION 2 ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND SPENT 17 MINTUTES STARING AT THE PAPER AND GAVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SEARCHED EVERY PART OF THE INTERNET IF ANYONE CAN RELATE, BUT IT'S JUST MEE
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It happens, sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself, perhaps try mind mapping for the first 10 mins of a paper/question or just start writing, even if it is garbage most people find the first part the hardest and once they get going much easier. Try reading answers online to gather ideas from what people have written about in the past.

Personally I found 4/5 quote I could relate to most topics and would just dive right in. For example in Of Mice and Men there is a quote, 'Curly's Wife had a red dress'. I could say that she is her husbands property, she didn't even deserve a name in the book which shows social standing. the red dress shows foreboding via danger, or passion. I could relate it to the racism in the book and the sexism, Curly's relationships, as well as his wife's relationships. So when a question on foreboding, women, racism, relationships showed up I just immediately wrote my 5 quotes down, the major point to be drawn from those quote in a kind of mind map and would just go from there, often I would remember extra points, or be able to make new ones, or expand much further I just had to begin.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there, I empathise. Writer's block / blank page fear is something that a lot of people struggle with, so just know that you're not alone. It might seem like most people have got the hang of it, but trust me - they don't. This is a useful and extensive post with tips on how to get started, with an essay template that hopefully helps: https://hyperbolit.com/2020/04/15/ho...ge-in-writing/

See if this is useful? And don't stress...
(Original post by KILLME88832740)
Every time I try to think of something nothing comes up and I start to feel extremely,DUMB AND END UP THROWING A TANTRUM BECAUSE I FEEL STUPID, IF MAJORITY OF PEOPLE CAN DO WHY CANT I??!!!!!! I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ONE IDEA!!!!! THE THOUGHT OF BEING THE ONLY KILLS ME. I WAS DOING QUESTION 2 ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND SPENT 17 MINTUTES STARING AT THE PAPER AND GAVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SEARCHED EVERY PART OF THE INTERNET IF ANYONE CAN RELATE, BUT IT'S JUS
aubindes bois
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KILLME88832740)
Every time I try to think of something nothing comes up and I start to feel extremely,DUMB AND END UP THROWING A TANTRUM BECAUSE I FEEL STUPID, IF MAJORITY OF PEOPLE CAN DO WHY CANT I??!!!!!! I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ONE IDEA!!!!! THE THOUGHT OF BEING THE ONLY KILLS ME. I WAS DOING QUESTION 2 ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND SPENT 17 MINTUTES STARING AT THE PAPER AND GAVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SEARCHED EVERY PART OF THE INTERNET IF ANYONE CAN RELATE, BUT IT'S JUST MEE
Hi KILLME88832740,

I believe you have 1 key issue :
Issue: You have a high level of emotional resistance
There are many emotions going on when you experience writer block.
uncertainty: Will I find the appropriate words? how much effort will it take me to figure out a proper structure?
hard work: I still have plenty of work to do before being able to send the document
boredom: Repeating the same process of reflecting back on what you just wrote is so tedious.
Creativity: Will I have new ideas?
Perfectionism: is it good enough?
All these blockages combine and create a huge emotional resistance. It holds you back and blocks your creativity. It is so frustrating.
To get over this situation quickly, you can use one of these 2 techniques.

Technique 1: Relax your tongue
Your tongue embeds so much tension. Relaxing it will immediately reduce your stress. This opens the door to new creativity when you are experiencing writer blocks.
However, It is weird when you do it for the first time. You can google this to have a few steps.

Technique 2: Use free writing
When you clearly write or talk about what you feel, it removes the destructive power theses emotions embeds. And ideas linked to this  topic will start flowing in your mind. The more you describe your feeling and state of consciousness, the more this method is effective
As you write you will observe that emotions raise within you. You might start to a part of your body vibrate. That's good.

The process goes like this:
As soon as you experience a feeling of writer blocks, Take a piece of paper. Write down all the things that piss you of the most.
1/What do you want to do and what are you doing instead? ( x 12 times)
I want to work on homework Xxx but I am doing activity Yyy instead.
2/ What are you angry/ afraid / ashamed of/ sad for / wondering for? List 3 reasons( x 12 times)
I feel unfair that teachers gave so much homework
I am afraid it would be hard or  that it might be difficult to write a few words.
I fear that it might take a long time
I fear that I might be criticized
I am angry people force me to learn to do it.
I fear that my family will be disappointed in me if don’t produce a great result.

This exercise requires 10 min straight before you can observe results but is effective.

Courage. Don't back down. Next time you will get your inspiration back quickly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads