Have your say: Students to pay full tuition fees even if classes online next year

Watch
tam13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Students to pay full tuition fees even if classes online next year article.

Read the full Students to pay full tuition fees even if classes online next year article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its not just the next academic year. If they reimbursed tuition for the 2020/21 academic year, they'd also have to reimburse those in the current 19/20 academic year (and for that reason, they won't be giving refunds lolol.)
I understand the need for fees even without the face-to-face teaching; there are still university buildings that need to be maintained, resources to put in place for students, staff to pay etc etc etc. But as a final year Sound Design student, I've had my degree show cancelled, graduation pushed back, submission briefs changed at short notice, and told that we still need to hand-in all of our projects pretty much as normal otherwise we can't graduate. Whilst GCSE's and A Levels have been cancelled, we've been given a 2 week extension.
If the next academic year should be given grace due to distance learning and coronavirus, so should this year - especially all of the Final Years.
chi2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol suck it up. My first year had something like 3 weeks cancelled because of strikes, then in my final year I have had my entire term cancelled because of corona as well as two sets of strikes. I've had absolutely no contact from my lecturers about my final exams (I have 5 which are worth in total 60% of my final year), no real guidance/assistance from the uni other than a safety net and 24hr open book exams.

It is an absolute **** show, I feel I am due at least £4k off my student debt as well as my £1.5k final rent payment back.

And all of this is compounded by having no graduation, job interviews cancelled and the fact when I left uni for easter (I have short terms) I did not realise it would have been the last time I would be at uni so there was no final goodbye.
Inw022
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Clearly though the quality of education cannot remain the same, which is why studying the same course online is cheaper than with physical presence. The most important part of the learning experience is done informally and the online environment cannot substitute the university community. What is more, it is nonsensical to have students pay the same amount for a service that costs the university so much less to provide.
grapefruits
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand how difficult the situation must be for the academic institutions (universities and private schools) themselves, who are also suffering from financial damage.
However, much of the school life is about the campus experience, especially as you go up university or expensive private schools. Parents have decided to pay the fees for their sons and daughters for various reasons, and it could be the sports facilities, music facilities, drama show opportunities, location of the school/college, social opportunities, boarding, etc.
Now that the institutions are no longer able to provide these services, they should reduce tuition fees to a fair standard, and not only for bursary receivers, for everyone is suffering in this moment.
If the schools cannot afford to reduce fees, then they need to allow students to withdraw their enrolment and organise a cheaper institution that welcomes the student in with fair conditions.
Inw022
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by grapefruits)
I understand how difficult the situation must be for the academic institutions (universities and private schools) themselves, who are also suffering from financial damage.
However, much of the school life is about the campus experience, especially as you go up university or expensive private schools. Parents have decided to pay the fees for their sons and daughters for various reasons, and it could be the sports facilities, music facilities, drama show opportunities, location of the school/college, social opportunities, boarding, etc.
Now that the institutions are no longer able to provide these services, they should reduce tuition fees to a fair standard, and not only for bursary receivers, for everyone is suffering in this moment.
If the schools cannot afford to reduce fees, then they need to allow students to withdraw their enrolment and organise a cheaper institution that welcomes the student in with fair conditions.
My thoughts exactly, very well-argued.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do find it strange that this was given a a blanket governmental answer, when universities are all independent private institutions. Surely this should be a case-by-case negotiation between individual universities and their student cohort 'customers'. Thought it was a market system.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by grapefruits)
out of curiosity, what country are you from? I only ask because parents paying fees is an alien concept for me😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
29.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.43%
No I am happy with my choice (112)
55.45%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.92%

Watched Threads