EmSmife13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all!

Currently in year 12 and 100% certain that i want to study earth sciences/geology at university after sixth form. I'm a bit stuck with things to do that i might be able to put in my personal statement/ucas forms. I've done a relevant EPQ and I've always doing loads of reading around the subject but i worry that i'd be disadvantaged applying to more competitive universities (imperial, oxford) due to only taking three A-levels (maths, chem, geog). To people studying/studied earth sciences, are there any more things i could be doing to boost my application and do you think i stand a decent chance with these subjects? Thanks!
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EmSmife13)
Hi all!

Currently in year 12 and 100% certain that i want to study earth sciences/geology at university after sixth form. I'm a bit stuck with things to do that i might be able to put in my personal statement/ucas forms. I've done a relevant EPQ and I've always doing loads of reading around the subject but i worry that i'd be disadvantaged applying to more competitive universities (imperial, oxford) due to only taking three A-levels (maths, chem, geog). To people studying/studied earth sciences, are there any more things i could be doing to boost my application and do you think i stand a decent chance with these subjects? Thanks!
hiya
im in year 11 and im considering earth sciences too...so thought id bump this thread up as this will be useful for me too xx
WestLdnStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im about to start environmental geoscience in Rhul. It wasnt that hard to get in and I didnt really do much experience in the course but I had alot of knowledge in earth sciences so when I had an interview for it, I was really good at answering any questions. I reccomend always reading articles related to earth sciences (newer the better) in your free time. It helps especially for competitive unis like oxford. I was told by a professor, for earth sciences, info is always being updated so reading articles and new science discoveries will be helpful in keeping up to date.

My mate got into oxford doing another course but he did a btec (btec applied science) and 2 alevels (predicted distinction, A, A*). So i dont think you doing only 3 alevels is bad, you should be fine as long as you get good grades and well prepared for their interview day. Also i dont think earth science is that popular compared to medicine or engineering etc so there will be less competition (by less I dont mean none. There still will be alot for oxford).

I reccomend in your personal statement, talk about how you got interested in the course and relating to any personal experiences of yours. E.g. i talked about how my home country was very polluted but after returning in 10 years, new policies to recycle and clean pollution changed the country completely and this boosted me into wanting to learn earth sciences as I wanted to use my knowledge I learn to help tackle modern world problems and improve QOL.

For experience, get in touch with your local council. They have sectors relating to things you learn in earth science e.g. taclking pollution. You can ask them for work experience. I was unable to do this but one of my mates that actually contacted them got a week of work experience in seeing how the council sectors work in e.g. tackling pollution or other problems. Or You can do a study yourself researching a certain topic you are interested in. You can talk about this study you did in part of your personal statement (add statistics and facts you learnt within study). This helps as unis can see you are already engaged in the topic and doing independant research and learning (great for science based courses).

My personal statement may not be much of use as I applied to rhul but if you want to read it, I can always hook you up. I was told mine was a really good statement and I got accepted for all of my choices. I didnt apply for oxford though as its not my type of uni. I got offer for UCL too but for me, I fell in love with the rhul earth science department. I found them amazing and matched what I wanted perfectly.

Sorry for long reply 😂 but yeah, this some info I have of earth sciences and my experience. I am no expert tho as im only starting uni now.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WestLdnStudent)
Im about to start environmental geoscience in Rhul. It wasnt that hard to get in and I didnt really do much experience in the course but I had alot of knowledge in earth sciences so when I had an interview for it, I was really good at answering any questions. I reccomend always reading articles related to earth sciences (newer the better) in your free time. It helps especially for competitive unis like oxford. I was told by a professor, for earth sciences, info is always being updated so reading articles and new science discoveries will be helpful in keeping up to date.

My mate got into oxford doing another course but he did a btec (btec applied science) and 2 alevels (predicted distinction, A, A*). So i dont think you doing only 3 alevels is bad, you should be fine as long as you get good grades and well prepared for their interview day. Also i dont think earth science is that popular compared to medicine or engineering etc so there will be less competition (by less I dont mean none. There still will be alot for oxford).

I reccomend in your personal statement, talk about how you got interested in the course and relating to any personal experiences of yours. E.g. i talked about how my home country was very polluted but after returning in 10 years, new policies to recycle and clean pollution changed the country completely and this boosted me into wanting to learn earth sciences as I wanted to use my knowledge I learn to help tackle modern world problems and improve QOL.

For experience, get in touch with your local council. They have sectors relating to things you learn in earth science e.g. taclking pollution. You can ask them for work experience. I was unable to do this but one of my mates that actually contacted them got a week of work experience in seeing how the council sectors work in e.g. tackling pollution or other problems. Or You can do a study yourself researching a certain topic you are interested in. You can talk about this study you did in part of your personal statement (add statistics and facts you learnt within study). This helps as unis can see you are already engaged in the topic and doing independant research and learning (great for science based courses).

My personal statement may not be much of use as I applied to rhul but if you want to read it, I can always hook you up. I was told mine was a really good statement and I got accepted for all of my choices. I didnt apply for oxford though as its not my type of uni. I got offer for UCL too but for me, I fell in love with the rhul earth science department. I found them amazing and matched what I wanted perfectly.

Sorry for long reply 😂 but yeah, this some info I have of earth sciences and my experience. I am no expert tho as im only starting uni now.
this is so useful(im not the OP tho)...thanks so much!

I'm just slightly confused about the course in general...when I search it up it seems like its a lot like geography/geology. If you have any info do you mind explaining what exactly earth science is about? or link me to somewhere where it explains more about the course? Beacuse I'm interested in Earth Sciences but not so much about fieldwork and stuff if that makes sense. Like I'm more interested in the science behind it.
WestLdnStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
this is so useful(im not the OP tho)...thanks so much!

I'm just slightly confused about the course in general...when I search it up it seems like its a lot like geography/geology. If you have any info do you mind explaining what exactly earth science is about? or link me to somewhere where it explains more about the course? Beacuse I'm interested in Earth Sciences but not so much about fieldwork and stuff if that makes sense. Like I'm more interested in the science behind it.
Earth science really is a broad term for many types of esrth science degrees you could study. If your interested more in the physical geography of rocks, tectonics, landforms you can do geology. You can also do courses such as geoscience (learning about the science behind some of these processes and learning about the past earth environment and how its evolved. Learning about present processes too). Or you can get into environmental science/geoscience which also takes into account the environment and how to keep it sustainable, tackling modern problems like pollution and climate change. So there is parts where its geography, especially first year for more courses. If your not interested in geology, environmental geography/geoscience is a course I will reccomend looking at.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/subje...e-guide/49258/

WhatUni is great for course information^^

I also reccomend going on different university sites about earth science courses and see what they teach. Theres always a list of the subjects under earth science and in each course, they list out every module/topic you will learn each year. I found rhul earth science department helpful as it was clear what each course they teach was and modules in it. Different unis teach the subject differently by the way so do look up different unis and their courses.

Also earth sciences contains field work. Most students that go into this course look foward to it as we get alot of field work opportunities. For me its going to places like scotland, spain, greece, great barrier reef and many more. I love travelling so fitted well with me.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...earth+sciences

This is the rhul departments list of the courses they teach. You can start browsing through here and then check up other unis aswell to get an understanding of the courses. 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.88%
I'm not sure (8)
2.89%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (98)
35.38%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (123)
44.4%

Watched Threads