The Student Room Group

Missed three Birth Control Pills, had unprotected sex, then next day bleeding?

I missed three birth control pills in a row and then had unprotected sex. The next day I started bleeding, not a scheduled period, but because I missed those three pills. Is it possibly to be pregnant still or because a “period” started the very next day it is not possible?
What do you mean 'not a scheduled period'?
I think you need some actual medical advice on this one - anything surrounding pregnancy or periods I always need accurate advice.
Original post by Jenkagger
I missed three birth control pills in a row and then had unprotected sex. The next day I started bleeding, not a scheduled period, but because I missed those three pills. Is it possibly to be pregnant still or because a “period” started the very next day it is not possible?

I’m guessing by the fact you have ‘scheduled periods’ you’re on the combined pill? X I’m not too sure about all progesterone only and how the ‘periods’ work there so can’t really give you any advice.
I’d say read through all of the leaflet you get in the pill box again just to be sure there’s no advice there, then seek medical advice online x
When you stop taking the pills, your period will start because that’s how the hormones work, and is how people come off the pill. But if you’ve had unprotected sex there’s no way to be sure you’re not pregnant either. The risk is definitely higher when missing progesterone only pills. Definitely seek medical advice, either way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
You've not specified if you're taking a combined pill or the progesterone-only mini pill. Both contain progesterone and the drop in progesterone levels once you stop taking them causes the break down of the uterine lining in a withdrawal bleed. With combined pills, as long as you have taken the pills correctly for at least 3 weeks (21 day blister pack) then you are protected against pregnancy during the break. The best thing to do is contact your GP or a local sexual health clinic, but they may advise you to change birth control methods (if you can), especially if you missed three consecutive pills. The other obvious one is to take a home pregnancy test once you start a new pill packet and the withdrawal bleeding ends. This tests the hormone levels to see if you're pregnant.
Many factors that would determine whether you could be pregnant but generally the bleeding is unliely to be related and is just a side effect of not taking the pill effectively. How long has it been since your last period and how long has it been since you had unprotected sex?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Many factors that would determine whether you could be pregnant but generally the bleeding is unliely to be related and is just a side effect of not taking the pill effectively. How long has it been since your last period and how long has it been since you had unprotected sex?

Last period was April 15, sex was may 4
get a pregnancy test
usually if u miss pills, u will start spotting. this is due to the drop in hormones
Please set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself and use condoms for extra peace of mind
Last period was April 15, sex was may 4

Yeh its unlikely youre pregnant but too early to say either way
If youre worried, test in about a week and a half but it isnt likely

It is unlikely you are pregnant since when you stop taking birth control that normally triggers a period to start.
If you want some mature advice, in the kindest way don't be so absolutely stupid again. Use birth control sure but also always use a condom. If it breaks or whatever then get the morning after pill. If you haven't taken your contraception either use a condom or don't have sex at all.
Since you had unprotected sex you should go to a clinic to make sure you haven't contracted any STD's and learn from this mistake, don't do this again.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest