Sds101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi so I want to apply for chemical engineering for 2020 entry through UCAS extra. My predicted are A*A*A in bio maths chem respectively. I am wondering which uni to apply to first as for UCAS extra you can only submit one application at a time. So I wanted to know from the current students what their opinions are of each uni. I also want to know whether doing a placement is beneficial, I know that UCL doesn't offer this though. Thank you!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi there I am a 3rd year chemical engineering student at Bath so hopefully I'll be able to give you an insight!

A big factor for me choosing Bath was the University’s excellent industrial reputation. It’s important to note that the rankings fluctuate year-to-year so they shouldn’t be the sole driver in you making your decision – a University is so much more than that! However, Bath performs well in league tables generally and for chemical engineering so for me this was a big factor.

Related to this, Bath’s placement scheme is excellent. Over two-thirds of students do a work placement or study abroad (compared to other universities where this is around 10-15%). I would highly recommend an industrial placement if engineering is what you want to do as a career. Whilst engineers are in demand, graduate jobs can be highly competitive, particualrly in large sought-after companies. Having a year of industrial experience on your CV is invaluable in the job market as it helps you develop employability skills that you don't get to develop at uni. It also allows you to apply knowledge from uni and gives your degree context. It allows you to find out the kind of industry you may or may not want to work in.

The department of engineering at Bath have a really supportive placement team who’s role is dedicated to helping students find placements and supporting whilst they are on placement. This help is invaluable in allowing students to secure placements. We have an online database where all the placement vacancies are posted, which means it is easy to see what you want to apply for. Some of these are open to all students but some are Bath specific, which makes securing a placement much more likely. The team also help with CV and application checking and interview preparation. After you have secured a placement, the team ensure your contact is in place and keep in contact with you whilst you are working to ensure everything is going well.

I would recommend having a look at the details of the modules at each University so that you can see the differences between the courses. Chemical engineering is a varied course – as well as teaching basic engineering principles such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, we also learn about bioprocess technologies, environmental management, accounting and finance, project management and mathematical modelling. Most modules will be taught the same across the board so I would recommend having a look for differences, if there are any. I know that the department at Birmingham is much bigger than Bath's, so this will give you a different feel of learning and community - it's personal preference really. I don't know how big the course at UCL is.

There are lots of similarities between courses at different universities, so big factor in your decision making should be the university experience itself. Both Bath and Birmingham are campus universities, whereas UCL is a city university. Both Birmingham and UCL are much bigger than Bath, in terms of the city and the university. The nightlife at Birmingham and UCL is most likely to be bigger and more diverse. I am personally not a big city person so Bath was a perfect size for me and I felt really at home when I went to visit. There is plenty going on – a busy high-street with lots of shops, pubs and bars, nightclubs and lots of cultural activities. As I am sure you are aware, Bath is very popular tourist attraction – it is very pretty and I love living there. You will find club nights nearly every night of the week in Bath, with 2 SU nights on campus a week. However, the clubs are fairly small and the majority are underground. Many students will go to Bristol for a night out, where you can find much bigger clubs. Bristol is about 10/15 minutes away by train and is great to explore 😊

I really like the campus ‘bubble’ at Bath. Everything you need is on campus, including shops and excellent sports facilities. There is such a lovely community feel on campus which I fell in love with when I went to visit. The Student’s Union is also very good – there are so many societies, sports and volunteering opportunities to get involved with. I would highly recommend getting involved when you start as it’s a great way to meet new people.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions
Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering
Sds101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
thank you so much for such a detailed reply. greatly appreciated and definitely gave me a lot to think about in deciding where I want to go. many thanks again for such a great response
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads