The Student Room Group

Struggling with Productivity and Laziness?

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get advice on a particular topic.

I am currently studying a Computer Science degree and work part-time. My main issue with myself is being productive from day to day. At work, I will get things done that I'm needed to, I will eventually get around to do my university work as well.

However, I don't make time for myself or things I want to do or just in general I am not productive such as holidays, days off or even with my university work I tend to procrastinate till the very last minute. I have never done well in exams because I always never revise until a few days before. I just like being lazy and I absolutely hate it. I can literally spend all day in bed and not do anything.

I see people on Instagram and YouTube being productive all the time but I just can never get myself to get things done? I have tried all the methods of eliminating distractions, scheduling time, to-do lists etc. I don't know what to do.

So my question really is that how do I go about changing my behaviour and stop being so lazy and procrastinating everything and actually get work done?

I also have a second question, even though my degree is based around coding and I enjoy it, should I really be dying every minute of the day wanting to do it? Comes back to my original question, I like being lazy and rather not do any work or even write code, is this bad?

This happens throughout the year but especially now that we're in quarantine, I am even more unproductive.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Hi, it's good that you have identified that perhaps your not being as productive as you could or want to be. As you said at work you get things done, is this because there is set hours to do things in? There are a lot of methods but it just depends what works for you.

To do lists: they can easily become a distraction and because you have random tasks on there that are longer and smaller then others, the easy tasks get done first and the harder ones don't. I would split up your lists to include the priority and non-priority for two sections university and home/other then you can see the work that needs to be done now and the things that can be left for later.

Time: when you wake up in the morning do you think 'great I have so much to do' and then just go back to bed? Try and get yourself moving as soon as you wake up, if you literally cannot function before lunch then be lazy for the morning and get house work or smaller tasks done and then as soon as you finish lunch get on with the work that needs doing, set a timer so you know you have to finish lunch within the hour..

The Pomodoro technique: As you leave things to the last minute it may be because you work better under pressure or simply because you have to do it, this method is work for 25 minutes and have a break for 5 minutes.. you can search it up and there is a timer you can use on the internet.. it just gets you moving so by the time you think the 25mins is up you carry on working without realising..

I'm sure this is really long! But these things helped me.. to be harsh the only person you are damaging is yourself so work hard and you will be the one that gets the rewards! Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, it's good that you have identified that perhaps your not being as productive as you could or want to be. As you said at work you get things done, is this because there is set hours to do things in? There are a lot of methods but it just depends what works for you.

To do lists: they can easily become a distraction and because you have random tasks on there that are longer and smaller then others, the easy tasks get done first and the harder ones don't. I would split up your lists to include the priority and non-priority for two sections university and home/other then you can see the work that needs to be done now and the things that can be left for later.

Time: when you wake up in the morning do you think 'great I have so much to do' and then just go back to bed? Try and get yourself moving as soon as you wake up, if you literally cannot function before lunch then be lazy for the morning and get house work or smaller tasks done and then as soon as you finish lunch get on with the work that needs doing, set a timer so you know you have to finish lunch within the hour..

The Pomodoro technique: As you leave things to the last minute it may be because you work better under pressure or simply because you have to do it, this method is work for 25 minutes and have a break for 5 minutes.. you can search it up and there is a timer you can use on the internet.. it just gets you moving so by the time you think the 25mins is up you carry on working without realising..

I'm sure this is really long! But these things helped me.. to be harsh the only person you are damaging is yourself so work hard and you will be the one that gets the rewards! Good luck!

Hey, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I truly appreciate it.

So I have found that making a to-do list makes me stressed looking at big tasks which seem impossible. I will try your method of breaking it down futher and prioritising it.

I tend to use the Pomodoro technique already haha. I don't work the best under pressure which is an issue. I leave it to last minute then regret not getting the best mark as I did not have time to get it up to a good standard.

But thank you once again, I will take on your advice and see how it goes!

Quick Reply