The Student Room Group

Question about being an external candidate

I need to apply as an external candidate for A Levels (Edexcel) as I'm living in Spain and my courses needed for A Levels aren't offered to be taught. I've contacted a nearby school that offers the qualifications (but doesn't have enough A Level students to run actual classes) but they have said that I require 360 hours of guided learning over the two years in order to be an external candidate. I've looked all over the Edexcel website and can't find a mention of this anywhere? I was thinking that the idea of being an external student meant I self taught/ got a tutor and only used the school to take the actual exams?
The school has said they will double check that this is the requirement, but it sounds like they aren't all too informed about being an external candidate, so any advice will be appreciated
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by becky.specks
I need to apply as an external candidate for A Levels (Edexcel) as I'm living in Spain and my courses needed for A Levels aren't offered to be taught. I've contacted a nearby school that offers the qualifications (but doesn't have enough A Level students to run actual classes) but they have said that I require 360 hours of guided learning over the two years in order to be an external candidate. I've looked all over the Edexcel website and can't find a mention of this anywhere? I was thinking that the idea of being an external student meant I self taught/ got a tutor and only used the school to take the actual exams?
The school has said they will double check that this is the requirement, but it sounds like they aren't all too informed about being an external candidate, so any advice will be appreciated

If you are living inm Spain, then are you Spanish or UK?
You dont say which A levels Sciences and languages are more complicated and expensive.

It would be normal to take the international versions of A levels run by either CIE or Edexcel Pearson.
They are sometimes organised by the British Council.
They can be sat in Spain.

Talk to Pearson, but I have never heard of the 360 hr requirement and it might just be the recommended amount of learning.
A levels at least in the UK for an external candidate just want the money to be paid and you to show up.
Original post by 999tigger
If you are living inm Spain, then are you Spanish or UK?
You dont say which A levels Sciences and languages are more complicated and expensive.

It would be normal to take the international versions of A levels run by either CIE or Edexcel Pearson.
They are sometimes organised by the British Council.
They can be sat in Spain.

Talk to Pearson, but I have never heard of the 360 hr requirement and it might just be the recommended amount of learning.
A levels at least in the UK for an external candidate just want the money to be paid and you to show up.

I'm from New Zealand but have been doing the English curriculum for the past 9 years, I hold GCSEs (which I completed in Spain).

I really need A Level Biology to get into my university course (Vet Nursing) I was going to do my A Levels at my current school in Spain but the teaching isn't the best and they don't offer A Levels Biology. This international school I just found is opening after the virus and is offering Edexcel qualifications for A-level and GCSE.
The reason I want to do my exam there is because they have a lab which would mean I could carry out my biology practicals out there.

I am planning on getting A Levels in Biology, Geography and English Language. I can't do the international A Level that some schools offer as they don't include the practicals (which is a requirement for uni). At the school I've been studying at so far, we just achieve a normal A Level like students in the UK do.

The problem is, this new school has no students applying for A Level, it's only me. This means they can't teach me alone so I'll need to get a online tutor and then take my practicals and exams there. But they just contacted me yesterday and said that I may not be able to do it as I need 300 hours of guided learning?
It's a bit of a complicated situation 😂
Reply 3
There is no requirement for centres to check - or care - how many hours learning a private candidate has completed. The service is purely to provide a seat in an exam hall with the correct paper and, in rare cases, to deal with any non examination assessment or assessed practicals.

International A level Biology would be a better choice than domestic A level Biology as it only requires a couple of practical exams as oppose to the 12 assessed practicals UK A level needs.

Quick Reply

Latest