language about extract

Watch this thread
Squigman
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My mother’s bedroom was always cheerfully lit with a big bright lamp, the shade gathered prettily and adorned with lace. Home made, as were most of the soft furnishings. Her clumsy grey plastic record player conditioned the air with the warped vinyl sounds of Tom Jones or Dolly Parton. We’d sit together in front of her lengthy mirror and sing the songs of happiness that we’d heard so many times before. At the time Dolly Parton singing about other women stealing her man and Kenny Rogers crooning over some broken marriage seemed perfectly natural, songs to be happy about and join in with. ​

I would watch my mother with admiration as she dressed in silk frocks almost as beautiful as herself, painted the lids of her eyes in some glittering cosmetic, and gained height with six inch stilettos. It was summer and I was a year older when she curled her hair around some hot pink cylinders. We listened as a dull cursing became audible from downstairs.

How does the writer use language to describe her home/home life?

do i talk about how the mother appears to care and comfort them, but obviously looks after herself with her silk frocks etc, and maybe at the end the dull cursing becoming aubible suggesting all is not what it seems he could live in a hostile environment?
Squigman
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Englishteacher24, help
Englishteacher24
Badges: 10
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Strach2k)
My mother’s bedroom was always cheerfully lit with a big bright lamp, the shade gathered prettily and adorned with lace. Home made, as were most of the soft furnishings. Her clumsy grey plastic record player conditioned the air with the warped vinyl sounds of Tom Jones or Dolly Parton. We’d sit together in front of her lengthy mirror and sing the songs of happiness that we’d heard so many times before. At the time Dolly Parton singing about other women stealing her man and Kenny Rogers crooning over some broken marriage seemed perfectly natural, songs to be happy about and join in with.

I would watch my mother with admiration as she dressed in silk frocks almost as beautiful as herself, painted the lids of her eyes in some glittering cosmetic, and gained height with six inch stilettos. It was summer and I was a year older when she curled her hair around some hot pink cylinders. We listened as a dull cursing became audible from downstairs.

do i talk about how the mother appears to care and comfort them, but obviously looks after herself with her silk frocks etc, and maybe at the end the dull cursing becoming aubible suggesting all is not what it seems he could live in a hostile environment?
Yes, you could discuss the mother's care and how she looks after herself.

I'd also discuss juxtaposition / the suggestion that not everything was as happy as it seemed. At the end of the extract, there is 'dull cursing [...] downstairs' - for me, this portrays the mother's bedroom as a place of refuge.

The allusion to Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers presents the narrator's naivety and innocence - how they are shielded from the negatives of relationships and don't really understand the realities of cheating or a broken marriage. The narrator says they seemed like 'songs to be happy about and join in with', 'at the time' - this implies that, in the time that followed this memory, the narrator did perhaps experience the realities of failed relationships and their viewpoint changed. They could no longer find happiness in the music.
Squigman
Rep:
(Original post by Englishteacher24)
Yes, you could discuss the mother's care and how she looks after herself.

I'd also discuss juxtaposition / the suggestion that not everything was as happy as it seemed. At the end of the extract, there is 'dull cursing [...] downstairs' - for me, this portrays the mother's bedroom as a place of refuge.

The allusion to Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers presents the narrator's naivety and innocence - how they are shielded from the negatives of relationships and don't really understand the realities of cheating or a broken marriage. The narrator says they seemed like 'songs to be happy about and join in with', 'at the time' - this implies that, in the time that followed this memory, the narrator did perhaps experience the realities of failed relationships and their viewpoint changed. They could no longer find happiness in the music.
Ive writen this :

The writer uses juxtaposition to describe her home life as a changeable environment. We get a sense that although her Mother appears to care for her and tries to provide a loving and homely atmosphere, there appears to be another side to home life for the writer.
By using the adverb "together" it suggests the Mother wants to instill a sense of stability into the writer and let them know she is there for them. This is further demonstrated by the fact they "sing songs of happiness". The noun "happiness" has connotations with being cheerful and in a place of enjoyment, although the fact they are having to "sing songs of happiness" perhaps hints that they are trying to mask something more sinister happening. Also when we are told this has "happened many times before, the adjective "many" eludes to the feeling this isn't a one off and is a regular occurrence.
The Mother appears to have the finer things in life which suggests she looks after herself much more than the "home", while the "soft furnishings" were "homemade" implying not much money or thought had been put into them. Whereas for herself she has "silk frocks" and "glittering cosmetics". The noun "silk" denotes a luxurious, classy fabric she wants to wrap herself up in and feel good and perhaps better than the class she is, and the verb "glittering" further confirms the lady wants to show the best version of herself.
Finally the writer finishes with the line "a dull cursing became audible from downstairs" by using the verb "cursing" which has connotations with being angry shouting, abuse and being threatening the writer portrays to us that all is not as it first seemed within the home environment and that perhaps they are upstairs hiding from something or someone.

Does it sound ok?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (229)
42.25%
The paper was reasonable (230)
42.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
9.04%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
6.27%

Watched Threads