The Student Room Group

A Level Religious Studies

Hi!
I'm wondering if anyone has any revision tips for Religious studies. I'm studying with the board Edexcel.
I'm finding it really hard because I didn't take it at GCSE. I really want to get an A.
So any tips would be really helpful!!
I took it for 2 months and then dropped it only took it because we had to start with 4. I think a good approach for revising it would be to make a mind map for each of your topics and write as much as you can off the top of your head. Then read through the topic and see if you missed any information out. Add this to the mind map and stick it onto your bedroom wall.
Reply 2
I did religious studies for GCSEs and the best thing were mindmaps for sure!
Original post by Crazytiger
Hi!
I'm wondering if anyone has any revision tips for Religious studies. I'm studying with the board Edexcel.
I'm finding it really hard because I didn't take it at GCSE. I really want to get an A.

Practice questions are important since themes tend to repeat over the years. Make sure you plan out points for these type of questions and quotes/book names/philosopher etc to back them up. I agree with the mind map idea if you are a visual learner/learn by association. Revision guides are incredibly helpful. I took AS religious studies but did OCR and I found the guide a godsend when it came to last minute revision. Prepare arguments 'to' and 'for' each teaching (I'm assuming its similar to OCR in how you learn 'utilitarianism' as one topic and learn about different philosopher's teachings on it however correct me if I'm wrong). Ended up getting an A with these techniques, hopefully you find these helpful too x
Reply 4
Original post by heisenberg dies
I took it for 2 months and then dropped it only took it because we had to start with 4. I think a good approach for revising it would be to make a mind map for each of your topics and write as much as you can off the top of your head. Then read through the topic and see if you missed any information out. Add this to the mind map and stick it onto your bedroom wall.

Thankyou! I think I might try that because mindmaps did help a lot for some subjects at GCSE :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SilverWatch
Practice questions are important since themes tend to repeat over the years. Make sure you plan out points for these type of questions and quotes/book names/philosopher etc to back them up. I agree with the mind map idea if you are a visual learner/learn by association. Revision guides are incredibly helpful. I took AS religious studies but did OCR and I found the guide a godsend when it came to last minute revision. Prepare arguments 'to' and 'for' each teaching (I'm assuming its similar to OCR in how you learn 'utilitarianism' as one topic and learn about different philosopher's teachings on it however correct me if I'm wrong). Ended up getting an A with these techniques, hopefully you find these helpful too x

Thank you so much, this is so helpful. I'm definitely going to try the mindmaps and the use of practice questions.
It seems like Edexcel is similar to OCR as we learn about utilitarianism and the different types such as Rule utilitarianism. Following this we learn about the philosophers - Bentham and Mill.
Do you know where can I find practice questions?
Hopefully I can get an A!
Thank you so much, this is so helpful. I'm definitely going to try the mindmaps and the use of practice questions.
It seems like Edexcel is similar to OCR as we learn about utilitarianism and the different types such as Rule utilitarianism. Following this we learn about the philosophers - Bentham and Mill.
Do you know where can I find practice questions?
Hopefully I can get an A!

Haven't been on TSR for quite some time so apologies for the late reply! Usually the style of question is similar every year so just take the practice questions you can get off the edexcel website and use them as a guide to make up your own. My teacher gave us a few pages of practice questions so I'm sorry to say that I'm not too sure where you could find some otherwise apart from the website and out of textbooks. Sorry if that wasn't too much help ://
Hi!

Hi, I am offering tuition for A level Religious studies, sociology, and English Literature. As I have achieved A*s in all essays at A Level and completed the course and I also managed to obtain a grade 9 at GCSE (I got full marks). I do believe that there are strategies to reach the top band and by one-to-one online to I believe I will be able to cater to your weaknesses and make them your strengths. If you would like further information please drop a pm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending