The Student Room Group

business or history a level?

I'm going into year 12 and doing a-level english literature and psychology. I was planning to do a-level business, but now I'm not sure that it's a good option, as it's not a facilitating subject and not very well respected by universities. The only other subject I would consider is history, but I've heard the workload is very high and since I haven't done GCSE History and I'm better at essay subjects but still not sure if I would be able to cope.

If anybody does either of these a-levels would appreciate advice on whether or not I should take either of them.
Reply 1
I do business a level but I wouldn't recommend it as it's too easy so that's probably why some universities don't prefer it. It's fine if you haven't done GCSE history, you could still do well at a level, especially because you like essay based subjects. Also, history would go well with the other subjects that you would like to take. I regret taking business studies, the information is too straight forward, it's just common sense and the maths is really easy. If you really enjoy business, you can teach yourself with online courses such as open university, MOOCs and FutureLearn.

Choose what you enjoy the most.
History a level has a lot of content, but it's the same with any subject. No a levels are easy. History is very useful for improving essay writing skills/debating skills and is very good if you want to study something like law in uni. Business would be better if you want to study something linked to finance/economics. If your school offers economics a level that would probably be better. My brother was an investment banker until a couple years ago and he did maths econ and history as. consider possible future careers and see what uni courses interest you and see which subjects would be useful. maybe you' want to switch english or psychology for something else.
Business is fine and unis are neutral about it expect LSE because it's a non-preferred subject but you can still apply to their courses since you have two preferred subjects. Facilitating subjects doesnt matter anymore expect one college in Cambridge and unis respect every a level (expect critical thinking and general studies a level) after the A level reform. I do history and the workload isn't bad if you are interested in the topics you will be learning and I didnt learn the topics at GCSE for A levels so you'll be fine without gcse history if your school lets you. I suggest taking the one you enjoy more tbh
Reply 4
Business is still a good and worthwhile A-Level despite the stigma, plus, GCSEs aren't always the best preparation. There are many people who don't do well at GCSE who do really well at A-Level, despite not even doing the GCSE just as in your case for History. In this case, I'd choose whatever subject you truly prefer and what you think you're more passionate for. Liking the subject gets you much further than you think.

Quick Reply

Latest