spacingoutagainx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hey, i am going to be starting a level history in september and was wondering if anyone could explain the course work unit to me please

thank you!
Anonymousamie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hiya!! I’m glad you’re taking History, not to be biased but I’m in year 12 and love it so much more than I did at GCSE, so if you already enjoy it you defo will next year!! okay so, across the two years you do a breadth study (usually spans 100 years of history) e.g. America from 1865-1975 like my school, including society, the economy, politics/elections, both world wars, etc, then a depth study (usually 50 years or so) e.g. we do the Wars of the Roses 1455-90. Then I believe it’s usually at the start of year 13, but we’ve started now given the circumstances, you’ll either come up with one yourself or be given a coursework question on a completely different time period, although we’re doing the Tudors from the very end of Henry VII’s reign to Elizabeth I because it’s like continuing the Wars of the Roses course - the question cannot overlap from your main courses though, but try not to worry about any of that yet!! In terms of the exams, for both the USA and the Wars of the Roses, so the breadth and depth study, you have to pick 2 out of 3 25 markers to answer which will be along the lines...”World War One was the main reason for the Twenties Boom in America. Assess the validity of this view”, alongside a 30 marker which provides 3 sources, either from contemporary or modern historians, and you have to determine how valid each source is based on your own knowledge and it’s great if you can add anything they’re missing or correct any errors!! We haven’t done any 30 markers yet, so try not to worry about those either. Good luck, you’ll really enjoy it I’m sure Do you know what topics you’re studying?
spacingoutagainx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
Hiya!! I’m glad you’re taking History, not to be biased but I’m in year 12 and love it so much more than I did at GCSE, so if you already enjoy it you defo will next year!! okay so, across the two years you do a breadth study (usually spans 100 years of history) e.g. America from 1865-1975 like my school, including society, the economy, politics/elections, both world wars, etc, then a depth study (usually 50 years or so) e.g. we do the Wars of the Roses 1455-90. Then I believe it’s usually at the start of year 13, but we’ve started now given the circumstances, you’ll either come up with one yourself or be given a coursework question on a completely different time period, although we’re doing the Tudors from the very end of Henry VII’s reign to Elizabeth I because it’s like continuing the Wars of the Roses course - the question cannot overlap from your main courses though, but try not to worry about any of that yet!! In terms of the exams, for both the USA and the Wars of the Roses, so the breadth and depth study, you have to pick 2 out of 3 25 markers to answer which will be along the lines...”World War One was the main reason for the Twenties Boom in America. Assess the validity of this view”, alongside a 30 marker which provides 3 sources, either from contemporary or modern historians, and you have to determine how valid each source is based on your own knowledge and it’s great if you can add anything they’re missing or correct any errors!! We haven’t done any 30 markers yet, so try not to worry about those either. Good luck, you’ll really enjoy it I’m sure Do you know what topics you’re studying?
hiya, thank you for this.

on my sixth form prospectus, this is what it says -
Name:  F505C8CA-3BE6-4276-830D-70C7B2B54688.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  26.7 KB
Anonymousamie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by spacingoutagainx)
hiya, thank you for this.

on my sixth form prospectus, this is what it says -
Name:  F505C8CA-3BE6-4276-830D-70C7B2B54688.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  26.7 KB
Oh cool those courses sound interesting!! So if you’re doing AS levels then you’ll probs finish part one by the end of year 12, but our course is linear so we’ve almost finished part two as well for both studies and now we’re just moving on to the historical investigation/coursework. Good luck!! What else are you taking?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by spacingoutagainx)
hey, i am going to be starting a level history in september and was wondering if anyone could explain the course work unit to me please

thank you!
Hey spacingoutagainx!

If you're meaning the 'historical investigation' section, I think it's very much up to the teacher to decide how its conducted. For example, my class studied Wars and Welfare: Britain in Transition, 1906–1957 and The making of a Superpower: USA, 1865–1975. For our 'historical investigation' our teachers supplied about 10 questions that were nothing like the topics we were studying. (I think one was about Napoleon? It's been a long time since haha)

My teachers also said that if we had some other ideas we could talk to them about it, and pick our own question, which is what I did. I suppose some teachers might not be this lenient or provide so many questions to choose from. This 'investigation' will be about 3500-4500 words so if you can, choose a topic that you're interested in otherwise it will be a very long and boring time!

Hope that hopes a little!

Courtney - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads