m4thninj4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, i'm in year 12 and i currently do maths, further maths and physics. Since about november i've been certain about applying for engineering later this year. But recently i've started to consider medicine. i know that i need chemistry a level to do this, so i was wondering of taking a gap year. i don't really know how it works to be honest. Do i still apply for engineering this year then do chem a level in a gap year? then can i reapply for medicine after? it's too late to apply for medicine this year, since i have no appropriate super-curricular and i don't have chem a level yet, so i definitely won't get accepted.
if anyone could explain to me how this works or give any advice that would be great also apologies for rambling
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by m4thninj4)
Hi, i'm in year 12 and i currently do maths, further maths and physics. Since about november i've been certain about applying for engineering later this year. But recently i've started to consider medicine. i know that i need chemistry a level to do this, so i was wondering of taking a gap year. i don't really know how it works to be honest. Do i still apply for engineering this year then do chem a level in a gap year? then can i reapply for medicine after? it's too late to apply for medicine this year, since i have no appropriate super-curricular and i don't have chem a level yet, so i definitely won't get accepted.
if anyone could explain to me how this works or give any advice that would be great also apologies for rambling
If you are serious about applying for medicine, I would take a gap year and put your efforts into making a strong application for medicine. You will need to make sure that you have the right A-Levels, so Chemistry will be a must. You will also have to sit extra tests like BMAT. You will also need to look at things like related extracurriculars or work experience, or things that demonstrate your passion for medicine, as grades alone won't be enough to get you a place. You can find more information about applying for medicine here: https://www.ucas.com/explore/subject...llied-subjects
When your school/college reopens, I would suggest talking with your form tutor (or careers advisor, if you have one) to work out what next steps you should take.
m4thninj4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
If you are serious about applying for medicine, I would take a gap year and put your efforts into making a strong application for medicine. You will need to make sure that you have the right A-Levels, so Chemistry will be a must. You will also have to sit extra tests like BMAT. You will also need to look at things like related extracurriculars or work experience, or things that demonstrate your passion for medicine, as grades alone won't be enough to get you a place. You can find more information about applying for medicine here: https://www.ucas.com/explore/subject...llied-subjects
When your school/college reopens, I would suggest talking with your form tutor (or careers advisor, if you have one) to work out what next steps you should take.
Thanks so much for this. I'm only considering medicine because my family is saying it would be a lot better for me. I'm not 100% about it yet to be honest. But if i do decide to study medicine, would i just not apply this year and apply in my gap year?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by m4thninj4)
Thanks so much for this. I'm only considering medicine because my family is saying it would be a lot better for me. I'm not 100% about it yet to be honest. But if i do decide to study medicine, would i just not apply this year and apply in my gap year?
You mention that you were looking to apply for engineering - is this an interest of yours? If you aren't really sure about medicine and are only thinking of applying because your family say it is a better degree, it isn't the best reason for going into medicine. Medicine is a very challenging and demanding degree and career - you have to be very passionate about it!

Think about what your interests are and what careers appeal to you. Doing some research can help you gain more information. If you do decide that your passion lies with medicine, you won't be able to apply this year (you don't have the required A-Levels) - I would recommend talking with your school to find out the best steps to take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads