The Student Room Group

french gcse 2021

i'm in year 10 and am quite uncertain about what will hapen to my gcses in 2021. I've been trying to make use of my time in quarantine to revise and catch up in French.

i was wondering if anyone is willing to give me tips they are using/used
to help me prepare myself for my french mocks in september ( if they happen) .
-any routines/habits to follow?
-how can i make sure i learn the vocab or phrases in each topic well?
-do mindmaps or flashcards about the topic help?
-any websites that i can use often to help my french standard?
-any methods to help with conjugations?
etc.

thank you :smile:
What areas are you struggling on? What examboard?
Im doing edexcel and my school’s not that far ahead in the modules. Im struggling on listening and reading. And i tend to forget the conjugations i have learnt.
I recommend using quizlet to learn vocab. You can either make your flashcards yourself or search the GCSE cards for your examboard and they'll probably be there! If you could manage to do 10 per day, that would be ideal, or else 5 per day if 10's too much? It depends on how much you like doing vocab, really!

In terms of grammar, I recommend getting the cgp GCSE workbook, which I used - I used to do a translation every morning and then marked it at revised any grammar that I always got wrong. You can use the website Lawless French to revise grammar - I don't pay for to do the quizzes, I just use the grammar explanations and they're always really good.

FOr conjugations, there's no way other than to memorise them, however painful! Start with the present tense regular endings for ER, IR and RE endings, and then choose groups of irregular verbs which follow similar patterns. YOu should also prioritise learning avoir (to have), aller (to go), faire (to do) and etre (to be). I recommend using a whiteboard or piece of scrap paper, writing out the conjugation you want to learn, covering it and trying to write from memory. Mark it and repeat until you get 100%. THen try to write 1 sentence for each conjugation.

If you want any French help, feel free to DM me. I'm doing A level atm predicted A*, and hopefully doing it at uni next year. (So not fluent, but good on most GCSE topics :smile: )
Original post by dolphins123
Im doing edexcel and my school’s not that far ahead in the modules. Im struggling on listening and reading. And i tend to forget the conjugations i have learnt.

Hello,

I'm also a Year 10, and I was supposed to be sitting my French GCSE this year. :dumbells:
The most effective website for me was Memrise in terms of vocabulary learning, as this offers both general courses and GCSE specific courses. :yep:

For grammar and conjugations, I would recommend Conjuguemos. It's a website with a series of games, flashcards and tests to help with your verbs. :albertein: I picked this website up really late, so I use it for Spanish (but it's just as useful for French).

Have you ever tried the Duolingo podcasts for French? They can be found on Spotify for free, and they offer some interesting stories. They're for intermediate learners (I think :s-smilie:), I personally find the French ones quite light and enjoyable but I know they can be difficult, because in Spanish (my weaker language) I tend to struggle. :blushing:

The best thing about the above is that they are based on real life stories, and there's also somebody who joins in for context in English (so you understand what's going on :dance:). Give it a go, idk if it will be challenging or not but it will improve your listening. :borat:

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending