As level chemistry- does ionization energy increase along a period?

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
In my notes it says: ' first ionisation energy increases due to a decreasing atomic radius and greater electrostatic forces of attraction, and this outweighs the increasing nuclear charge.Thus the effective nuclear charge increases. Remember there is no change in shielding effect.'

Firstly, doesn't atomic radius increase along a period?
secondly, why is there no change in the shielding effect?

Thanks
username5133584
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
In my notes it says: ' first ionisation energy increases due to a decreasing atomic radius and greater electrostatic forces of attraction, and this outweighs the increasing nuclear charge.Thus the effective nuclear charge increases. Remember there is no change in shielding effect.'

Firstly, doesn't atomic radius increase along a period?
secondly, why is there no change in the shielding effect?

Thanks
Across a period, all electrons are being added to the same shell. So there’s no change in shielding because no new shells are being added.
Atomic radius refers to the distance between the nucleus and the outer shell of electrons. This does actually decrease. This is because as you go along a period, you add a proton with each new element. This increases the nuclear charge and increases the nuclear attraction, pulling the negatively charged electrons in their shells closer to the nucleus which has increased in positive charge. This change is pretty minimal I would say, however. Always use that as a last resort.
So yes, the first ionisation energy does increase as the factors above mean it becomes more difficult to remove an electron with each new element as you go along the period.
Hope this helps! xx
Last edited by username5133584; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (321)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (249)
43.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise