MrSmithT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I hope you’re all doing well! To cut it short, I have to write a 2500-3000 word essay by the 22nd of may and I’m having difficulties. I’ve self-constructed the question - “compare the ways in which Pinter in “The Birthday Party” and Orwell in “1984” explore the dynamics of capitalism/corrupt political ideology.” I feel like there’s only a little to actually talk about so I’m wondering if any of you have any ideas to share or even a better question to compare both texts. Thank you for reading
litstudent30
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I completed my English A level coursework in Feb so I might be able to help.

If you're struggling for what to talk about, have you tried looking for language patterns? I don't know much about political ideology in these novels, but maybe mention repetition of symbolism, hyperbole, that sort of thing? And mention structure and form - is there anything interesting about the way in which the novels are written, i.e. epistolary? Consider the narrative voice. Then link these back to how they show capitalism. It would be best to have a counter-argument, e.g. capitalism is presented as good vs. capitalism is presented as bad. Perhaps you should narrow down your question to either capitalism OR corrupt political ideology, as this will make your essay more sharp and focused.

And, remember, when comparing texts you can look for differences as well as similarities!

Hope this helped a little
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads