lj1886
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi i was just wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me, the situation being that i'm currently meant to be working through the "a level year 1 and as" aqa french textbook which has six themes, and i'm still currently stuck on the FIRST topic when some people in my class have moved on to the year 13 stuff, im really falling behind with french and it's getting me down, anyone else relate or have any advice?
omishas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I'm in year 13 and take French. What exactly is it you are stuck on? That way I can give you more clear advice
aelise
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lj1886)
hi i was just wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me, the situation being that i'm currently meant to be working through the "a level year 1 and as" aqa french textbook which has six themes, and i'm still currently stuck on the FIRST topic when some people in my class have moved on to the year 13 stuff, im really falling behind with french and it's getting me down, anyone else relate or have any advice?
I completely understand the situation you're in, though I do Spanish, not French. I am not myself falling behind, but I know it would be super, super easy to because of how much content there is and how hard it is to stay on top of it all.

What I do in Spanish that helps me:

1) WordReference is the best and most accurate translator for specific words and phrases, and it helps me a lot. I'm sure it could help you too.
2) Every time you come across a word that you think may be used again in the future (perhaps a widely used verb, such as 'to achieve', or a word that comes up frequently in the topic) write it down in a glossary. Make a glossary of new words in each topic, so you can keep referring back to it if you see one of those words in the text. It will also help you remember them.
3) If you have access to Kerboodle, try completing the activities on there; I find it really useful.
4) If you have the opportunity, facetime somebody else on your course and go over a topic with them - this will help you to practice your pronunciation, spontaneous speaking and also they may be able to help you on anything you're struggling with.
5) Try colour coding different themes, topics or word types (eg. I code word types: I use red for nouns, green for verbs, yellow for conjunctions, orange for prepositions, blue for adverbs and adjectives and purple for idioms.)

Of course, French and Spanish resources are slightly different, but I did some searching and found this that may be able to help you:
http://www.gojimo.com/a-level-french-revision/

I really hope this helps!
- Aelise
omishas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aelise)
I completely understand the situation you're in, though I do Spanish, not French. I am not myself falling behind, but I know it would be super, super easy to because of how much content there is and how hard it is to stay on top of it all.

1) WordReference is the best and most accurate translator for specific words and phrases, and it helps me a lot. I'm sure it could help you too.
2) Every time you come across a word that you think may be used again in the future (perhaps a widely used verb, such as 'to achieve', or a word that comes up frequently in the topic) write it down in a glossary. Make a glossary of new words in each topic, so you can keep referring back to it if you see one of those words in the text. It will also help you remember them.
3) If you have access to Kerboodle, try completing the activities on there; I find it really useful.
4) If you have the opportunity, facetime somebody else on your course and go over a topic with them - this will help you to practice your pronunciation, spontaneous speaking and also they may be able to help you on anything you're struggling with.
5) Try colour coding different themes, topics or word types (eg. I code word types: I use red for nouns, green for verbs, yellow for conjunctions, orange for prepositions, blue for adverbs and adjectives and purple for idioms.)

Of course, French and Spanish resources are slightly different, but I did some searching and found this that may be able to help you:

- Aelise
Hmm, I took a slightly different approach for French.

I find that Linguee is very good for words and phrases, especially with essay writing.

In terms of powering through the themes, make notes on every topic within that theme, which tend to be on each page with the AQA textbook. Eg. the topic is criminalité, well a subtheme would be electronic bracelets, then overcrowding of prisons and how you can solve that issue. If you make notes early, you will be able to discuss them in class and then add to your notes.

Use this structure: theme, issue, potential ways to resolve this issue (you may have to research around, so heads up) and justification. Oh, and FACTS. Use facts to highlight WHY it is an issue, and facts to highlight if this solution to the issue has worked, so a survey for example.

Make sure you make notes WITH STATISTICS! My teacher emphasised this a lot, in your speaking, you will need to make a point, give an opinion and justify it WITH FACTS. I'd say dedicate a seperate book for theme notes, I know it sounds like a lot but by condensing all the extra words in the book to a simple page of notes you will fill a lot more comfortable with the material.

I also agree, that Kerboodle exercises are great! Especially for listening. Unfortunately, your teacher will have the markbook for it so make sure you ask them for the answers, you'll look proactive to your teacher as well.

So overall, CONDENSE YOUR NOTES, there are only 6 themes in Year 1, so it shouldn't take you too long to dumb it all down, but make sure you have STATISTICS.

Last point, don't neglect the vocab pages, I know there are a lot of words, but people on Quizlet have made sets individually for each theme. You have plenty of time now so just focus on yourself, forget what others are doing and power through it. If you have any questions or need any more support (i have so many books lying around, I got you) feel free to message me!

Good luck!

(Original post by lj1886)
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have never heard of or used Linguee but excited to try it out! That said, WordReference was God-send for me and my friends during our French and Spanish degrees at university. :rambo:
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 year ago
hlxxxxxxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am in the exact same situation as the OP but I'm actually homeschooled so I don't really have as much teacher support so most of my learning is reading course notes and text books. I tried to access gojimo recently however I can't download the app or study online as it keeps saying they don't exist. I'm wondering if it's been deleted and if so does anyone know any alternatives? I've looked at a few and most only do sciences. Also thank you for the previously mentioned tips. They seem super helpful. I am a big fan of colourcoding myself. Something I do is I use page marker postick notes and split my textbook into visual sections with a different colour for modules. I then use one colour for how much of done and one for my goal of the day to help keep on track stay motivated and see it in manageable sections.
2939HIHI
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by aelise)

- Aelise
So, like did you get gojimo in apple store or android as I can not find it in android. Please help me! I am so bad at business and I really need help on it. I feel like gojimo will get me to an A* but I can not find it in android. Plz help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.54%
No (166)
69.46%

Watched Threads