The Student Room Group

Is uni rewarding in terms of self-development?

I'm big on self-development and my question is if it will basically broaden my worldview and give me something more other than just studying..?
Do you have enough spare time to focus on something outside of school, like a hobby?
Reply 1
Original post by tilderoos
I'm big on self-development and my question is if it will basically broaden my worldview and give me something more other than just studying..?
Do you have enough spare time to focus on something outside of school, like a hobby?

YES! It will help build those skills of independence which you'll need in later life.

Yep, plenty of time to do other things if you can plan effectively. Have a routine. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MKaur18
YES! It will help build those skills of independence which you'll need in later life.

Yep, plenty of time to do other things if you can plan effectively. Have a routine. :smile:

Thank you!!

Hey,

To me its a yes. From the moment I took a step out of my house to live away from home for Uni I begun to see changes in me, I had to take responsibility for myself, my finances, time management, my own well being and even my surrounding (my room/ accommodation/ house/ belongings). Apart from that, while doing my degree, I am gaining alot of skills as an outcome of my courses which get me started on thinking of careers and self development, side hustles, building skills so there is alot of self development through studying.

Hope this is helpful
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀

Hi @tilderoos

I think uni definitely broadens your views, as you get to meet people from loads of different people from different places, become independent, and find new interests and skills. I think for most courses you will have time to focus on a hobby, this is encouraged as uni is not just about the academic side of things. At my uni, most students that I knew had Wednesday afternoons free, as this was when the sports activities took place.

Zaira :smile:
Reply 5
Yep! I've gone to a tiny uni close to my home, but it has given me a lot more than I expected. I was planning on just doing my foundation then seeing where I was, not really expecting to feel confident enough to pursue much further and to settle into a job and just get on with life. Within a year though I feel pretty ready to move out, enjoy my hobbies more, met people who challenged my views (for the better!) academically and on a personal level and am just in general more independent and more like who I was hoping I could be. It hasn't been all sunshine, it's had it's moments, but overall it's been positive on a personal level and an academic one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending