Owen_Scott
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I’m planning to study English lit at university. I’ve grown up near to London and really love it there. I really want to go to a city for university, but, thinking I needed a change, I applied to the University of Manchester (my firm) and University of Liverpool (my insurance) for uni. I’m beginning to doubt that decision though, as I’ve realised how much I like London.

A big part of my reasoning for the above unis was that I wanted a city like London, that wasn’t London. However, I feel this mentality suggests that perhaps London was the best place for me, given I compared each uni city to it.

But now I’m sort of at a loss for what to do.

I’ve firmed Manchester, but I’m concerned I’ll not like it. The course at Manchester is really good, but I’m worried I won’t be happy living there.

Is this a normal feeling, or would it be good for me to consider some way of attending a London uni? If the latter, what options do I have, considering I very much would like to attend university in this year?

Thank you so much
ia22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should look into degrees in London and see if you like the course, and if you decide that you want to go to a London university you could go through clearing after getting your results. It might be cheaper to go to university in London if you could live at home and travel there everyday, but if you live in London it might be a lot more expensive even if you get a higher maintenance loan. Maybe visit Manchester again when all the coronavirus stuff is over and explore the city and university some more to see if you still like it?
mimicupake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Owen_Scott)
Hello,
I’m planning to study English lit at university. I’ve grown up near to London and really love it there. I really want to go to a city for university, but, thinking I needed a change, I applied to the University of Manchester (my firm) and University of Liverpool (my insurance) for uni. I’m beginning to doubt that decision though, as I’ve realised how much I like London.

A big part of my reasoning for the above unis was that I wanted a city like London, that wasn’t London. However, I feel this mentality suggests that perhaps London was the best place for me, given I compared each uni city to it.

I’ve firmed Manchester, but I’m concerned I’ll not like it. The course at Manchester is really good, but I’m worried I won’t be happy living there.

Is this a normal feeling, or would it be good for me to consider some way of attending a London uni? If the latter, what options do I have, considering I very much would like to attend university in this year?

Thank you so much
I am literally in the exact same situation as you. I put Manchester as my firm yesterday and Nottingham as my insurance but I know deep down I really like London. I live close to London too so it would mean I’m closer to home and I’m also in a place that I really really like.

I understand what you mean about the “comparing everything to London” thing because that’s why I chose Manchester but I think now I lowkey regret it.

But don’t worry too much because I think everything will be fine on results day, because it’s really possible there could be places for applicants to get into Unis through clearing more than normal this year.

Someone told me to try and contact the school that you prefer to move to now just to see if that could make it a bit easier. Maybe you could try that too. And also just research into all the unis in London so if they are available through clearing you know if you really like it or not.

Manchester is still a great city though. I think with every place you go to you will end up liking parts of it and not liking parts of it (if you get what I mean). So I don’t think you’ll really be completely unhappy in Manchester. There’s so many cases that students transfer unis too. (Although that may not always be ideal) there are so many other ways to get into London if you really want to.

Also do more research into London and into Manchester. Because it’ll remind you of the reason why you chose Manchester in the first place and not London.

You’ll actually be fine!
Last edited by mimicupake; 1 year ago
gemma102901
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Thank you so much
London isnt that great tbh, it's really dangerous unless you live in Kensington, Chelsea, Richmond, Knightsbridge
Student2020-
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Thank you so much
Hi!

I am studying postgraduate English Lit at Liverpool and grew up south of London. I moved to Liverpool for my BA and stayed for my masters. I do not regret moving further away from home, as I know I would have been home every weekend if I'd gone to London! Both Liverpool and Manchester are great! There's so much going on and Liverpool especially is really easy to get around and get to know. I feel really at home in Liverpool. My sister is at uni in London and she spends most of her time getting to and from lectures or friends' houses. In Liverpool you're never more than 20 minutes away!

London is really expensive, Liverpool on the other hand is great to live in as a student as is Manchester. 2/3rd year rent prices are amazing! And you can still live centrally! Also it's only a 2hour train to London, so if you're homesick its not too far away! Also Manchester Christmas Market is amazing! And there are so many great festivals in Liverpool over the summer!

A lot of my friends who came to Liverpool ended up staying for masters or work after graduation. It's a really great city. As is Manchester!

If you want to know anymore about the English course at Liverpool I'll try answer, especially first year modules.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (33)
28.45%
No (83)
71.55%

Watched Threads