abbieluvscats
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve been looking at English and creative writing courses for next year when I go to university, but I’ve heard multiple people say what is the point and I’ll just be wasting my time!

I’m not interested in studying anything else but I don’t want to go to university for nothing.

What should I do?
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you want to do after uni?
_emmathorne
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abbieluvscats)
I’ve been looking at English and creative writing courses for next year when I go to university, but I’ve heard multiple people say what is the point and I’ll just be wasting my time!

I’m not interested in studying anything else but I don’t want to go to university for nothing.

What should I do?
I'd say study what you're most interested in. If you take a subject you're not passionate about, you probably won't enjoy university as much or be as motivated to do well, and Creative Writing sounds like an awesome course to take!
abbieluvscats
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
What do you want to do after uni?
I was thinking of going into publishing?!
abbieluvscats
Rep:
?
(Original post by _emmathorne)
I'd say study what you're most interested in. If you take a subject you're not passionate about, you probably won't enjoy university as much or be as motivated to do well, and Creative Writing sounds like an awesome course to take!
Okay, thank you!!!
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was thinking of going into publishing?!
Then you’d probably be fine with creative writing
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

What should I do?
Hi @abbieluvscats,

I'm an English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice student at Lancaster University.

When I was applying to university, I had a lot of people telling me it wasn't 'academic' enough and that I was wasting myself - but, like you, it was the only degree I wanted to study.

I can say, wholeheartedly, if that's the degree you want to study, then you should do it. You have to be passionate about what you are studying - and that will make it worth it.

I would also personally really recommend English and Creative Writing at Lancaster. It's 1st in the UK for Creative Writing (The Complete Uni Guide 2020) and I've really enjoyed my studies. I've been challenged, encouraged and surprised during my studies and don't regret it for a second.

If you have any questions about studying English and Creative Writing at uni, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (110)
40.89%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.78%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.06%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (60)
22.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.9%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
7.06%

Watched Threads