laptop100
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi so my centre has started to gather evidence for me as i am a private candidate for a levels and was studying independently. I study biology chemistry and psychology. JCQ have recently stated that any centres who give out mocks to candidates, the "question paper will have been unreleased". with only 2 weeks to revise for my 9 exams, does that mean my centre will be using 2020 actual exam papers so i have to basically sit my full a level exam as usual or will they use a 2019 paper which is still unreleased.

any help is appreciated as exams were announced to be cancelled i relaxed a bit and now i have to sit my exams
SK.B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

I hope you are well,

I too am a private applicant and perhaps as confused as yourself.
Unfortunatley I cannot impart more insight on whether the exams would be 2019 or 2020 however my assumption would 2020 and I doubt it has much of a difference.

I'm assuming that you are sitting the exams with a centre you have not previously sat/studied with i.e past school but have been home schooled?

The current guidelines seem to stand that if you do not have any affliations with your exam centre than you will be sitting exams 'before uni' but nothing set in stone due to the unknowns of the virus...

However students who have studied with their exam centre (i.e gap year, retaking/doing a A-level) the Headmaster is in the position to decide to provide a predicted grade and have you ranked in their student order (as sixthforms are ranking their students top to worst essentailly) and therefore providing a grade if they believe that they have enough evidence to support their statement... of course this is quite vague and perhaps unreasonable as one may assume they would priortise ranking higher their current studetns if that may have any affect... more so it may depend how familiar you have been with the SLT and Headteacher...

Hope this has given some insight...

Kind regards,

S
laptop100
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
Hi

I hope you are well,

I too am a private applicant and perhaps as confused as yourself.
Unfortunatley I cannot impart more insight on whether the exams would be 2019 or 2020 however my assumption would 2020 and I doubt it has much of a difference.

I'm assuming that you are sitting the exams with a centre you have not previously sat/studied with i.e past school but have been home schooled?

The current guidelines seem to stand that if you do not have any affliations with your exam centre than you will be sitting exams 'before uni' but nothing set in stone due to the unknowns of the virus...

However students who have studied with their exam centre (i.e gap year, retaking/doing a A-level) the Headmaster is in the position to decide to provide a predicted grade and have you ranked in their student order (as sixthforms are ranking their students top to worst essentailly) and therefore providing a grade if they believe that they have enough evidence to support their statement... of course this is quite vague and perhaps unreasonable as one may assume they would priortise ranking higher their current studetns if that may have any affect... more so it may depend how familiar you have been with the SLT and Headteacher...

Hope this has given some insight...

Kind regards,

S
Hi ! thanks for replying. im just so confused as it basically means my result depends on that exam
if it is the 2020 exam paper it would be incredibly unfair however most people are saying that they will not use 2020 papers as that may be used in autumn exams or may not have been released to exam centres/boards
SK.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

I understand what you meant now, apologises, yes- it would not be a 2020 paper (atleast an actual paper they would use) more likely a 2019 unreleased backup test paper or a new mock paper although it makes more sense if its an official backup / mock paper to keep it standardised.

Do you know under what conditions you may be sitting your exam in?
laptop100
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
Hey,

I understand what you meant now, apologises, yes- it would not be a 2020 paper (atleast an actual paper they would use) more likely a 2019 unreleased backup test paper or a new mock paper although it makes more sense if its an official backup / mock paper to keep it standardised.

Do you know under what conditions you may be sitting your exam in?
my head of centre has said that we must come in the centre and will most likely take the mock one at a time. he doesnt seem to be affected by the lock down and is saying that even if it is relaxed a little bit he will ask us to come in.
so yeah they may use 2019 paper i dont think there is a backup paper ... or is there>
SK.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That would be disaterous in my case... has a date been set for yourself? 1 by 1, that seems odd.

I wish you the best in that, for this unusual situation.
laptop100
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
That would be disaterous in my case... has a date been set for yourself? 1 by 1, that seems odd.

I think 1 by 1 due to social distancing
i believe he has said any date from 18 th May onwards
laptop100
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)

Thank you! i wish you all the best too! hopefully we end up getting the grades and going to universities to study the subjects we want at the desired university
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by laptop100)
Hi so my centre has started to gather evidence for me as i am a private candidate for a levels and was studying independently. I study biology chemistry and psychology. JCQ have recently stated that any centres who give out mocks to candidates, the "question paper will have been unreleased". with only 2 weeks to revise for my 9 exams, does that mean my centre will be using 2020 actual exam papers so i have to basically sit my full a level exam as usual or will they use a 2019 paper which is still unreleased.

any help is appreciated as exams were announced to be cancelled i relaxed a bit and now i have to sit my exams
You can 2019 papers online, they are just locked on aqa, ocr and edexcel websites but on places like here, you will find people talking about them. I am sure they are aware of this.

They may use 2020 papers but i highly doubt it since they may want to keep them for the autumn exams. Also the contingency papers that they make may be used for 2021 exams.
laptop100
Rep:
?
(Original post by CurryCurry2468)
You can 2019 papers online, they are just locked on aqa, ocr and edexcel websites but on places like here, you will find people talking about them. I am sure they are aware of this.

They may use 2020 papers but i highly doubt it since they may want to keep them for the autumn exams. Also the contingency papers that they make may be used for 2021 exams.
yes i am so confused as to what to do and as to whether they will use 2020 papers or 2019 papers
mussy101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi can someone please help me get a 2019 paper for IGCSE English Language B and IGCSE Mathematics A 4MA1 2019 (summer exams)
Thankyou.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (61)
15.37%
I'm not sure (14)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
33.75%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.51%
I'm not a current university student (182)
45.84%

Watched Threads